Walking Poles

1–10 of 36

Looking to start using them: What do you use, 1 or 2? And why? Cheers
Hi Poledo. Funny you should ask, I just brought one today. I guess everyone has their own reasons as to why. Personally I hate carrying anything in my hands as I like to have my hands free to scramble and cling on to rocks and tree roots when needed. However that said, I find walking poles very useful for balance when walking through a river and also when walking across snow if its icy and slippy. (I myself would only use one).
I wouldnt walk without mine. My preference is for a locked stick not sprung and it needs to have rubberised material down from the handle so you can use it at differing lenghts while walking or climbing. the photo says it all.http://www.tramper.co.nz/?4553
Might I suggest you take a look at the following page. It's considered by some as THE on line authority on trekking poles. http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm
I started off using just one pole, and only with a multi day pack. Found it great for steep downhills, and river crossings. Soon progressed to two sticks, and then also on day walks. I initially had reservations, especially using two, as I was usually grabbing at branches, etc during the course of a day, but amazingly, using two poles makes this action mostly redundant. Being on the short side, I find them great for scaling large girth windfalls.I prefer to use the suspension models, possibly because I have a dodgy shoulder. Ive also found that Im not as weary, physically, after a hard day if Ive used the poles, compared to walking without them. So now, they go everywhere I do. Just remembered when I was only using one pole, found my upper body would kind of twist to one side. Using two is much better for your posture, and improved breathing, particularly on uphill sections.
I always use a pair of poles fitted with the biggest baskets I could find when I bought them. They are invaluable for river crossings and muddy and snowy terrain. Having big baskets on them prevents them from sinking in and becoming stuck although the downside is that they tend to snag on branches/undergrowth more. I have big hands so Ive never had much of a problem with them getting in the way when I want to hang on to things, both will fit in one hand and still leave the fingers free to grab things. In summary I love them and take them on every trip.
Great pic Paul! You also answered my next question Yarmoss, about what those little basket things on the end are for. Now I know :-)
Being mostly in the bush and open tops without snow i prefer the rubber tip especially as it grips better on wet rocks i tend to use my pole mostly for balance you do however need to carry spares as the tip dissappears from time to time caught under a stick in the mud impossible to find after that.
I bought a pair a few weeks ago but only used 1 on my last tramp, going uphill I cant say I used it much till about halfway up then I got it out and found it much much easier aswell as going along the tops and down some very steep sections, I would highly recommend at least trying them to see what you think of them, I know I will be using them again this weekend.
When I first got a pole, people asked me if they were any good. My response was "it's great, I get THREE TIMES as fit when using it". After a suprised reponse and question for clarification I made it clear theat the reason I was three times as fit was because I had done the trip three times after repeatedly leaving it behind and going back to get it. But seriously, I find it good as a third leg which gives the aging knees a bit of a break on rough and downhill bits.
1–10 of 36

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by poledo
On 2 December 2009
Replies 35
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown