DoC on-line datasets for the public

DOC now provides detailed track information to the public. In recent months, DOC has received increasing requests from the public to download DOC spatial information to their personal GPS, to see where our tracks are on public conservation lands and to view these on Google Earth and Virtual Earth, in order to be able to plan tramps and compare data. As a result, DOC tracks are now available for the public to download, via the Koordinates website This new information is already improving visitor/tramping opportunities and continues to engage the public further in conservation. Also check out http://koordinates.com/layer/754-doc-public-conservation-land/ This data has been collected by DOC staff using DOC systems, in conjunction with other national data sources and it marks a big step in the sharing and promotion of DOCs spatial information, at no charge to the consumer. The application of this data extends beyond tramp information, ranging from cartographers creating atlases, to supermarkets wanting to calculate their national carbon footprint. Improving access to the Governments spatial information is a goal of the NZ Geospatial Strategy and DOC is taking a lead on this. The mission is to provide online, free and unrestricted access to environmental data and information, thus building trust, transparency and collaboration. *How was the track information compiled?* This track information has generally been captured by field staff on their GPSs then handed over to Conservancy Information Management Unit (IMU) staff who quality assure (QA) it against other datasets like topo maps and aerial photography and maintain it in a national dataset. Conservancy IMU staff have also worked with Area Offices and Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) to supply tracks for the new 1:50,000 topographical map series (Topo50) coming out next month to replace the existing NZMS 260 series. With any data there are risks and limitations and its fitness for purpose. Some of this data is captured off a 1:250,000 map so is not suitable to load onto your GPS and navigate a narrow ridge during a white out. There is an accuracy attribute and disclaimer but DOC can take steps to reduce risk through user education and maintenance of our data. *What is the difference between Topo50 tracks and DOC tracks? * Topo50 is a cartographic product that has been generalised for a 1:50,000 scale and contains tracks managed by councils and tramping clubs in addition to tracks on DOC land. DOC tracks have been captured for asset management purposes initially, and are as accurate as practical. *Why are huts in AMIS, but we have to capture tracks and roads separately? * Asset Management Information System (AMIS) captures point features such as huts or points along a track. Someone has to fill the lines between these points, which is where the expertise of the field staff and their GPSs and the QA from IMU staff come into play. *How can I improve the track data for my patch?* Get out your GPS and go see your Conservancy IMU staff, especially if there has been a change to the track that they might not know about
17 comments
11–17 of 17

Thanks for your thoughts on GPS repositories. I would be very reluctant to create a separate site for GPS. If I were to create one, then I would logically want to link it through to track and hut info here and suddenly we'd be back to one site. I see two good answers. The first is simply to use a completely separate site that is focussed on GPS data sharing. You could always add a link from here through to your GPS file. I'm open to suggestions on how better to integrate with data stored elsewhere. The other answer is to identify any issues with using this site for GPS and fix them. In an ideal world, I would see this as the better solution as it seems appealing to be able to move between GPS information, descriptive information and photographs easily, and because there seems to be a benefit in having a tramping-focussed environment. The obvious issue is my having time to do this well. Note that I am not myself a GPS user so I value your thoughts!
I like the way it is here. The only suggestion I have is not to have a separate category for GPX files. Just make another field in tracks so that if somneone has a GPX of a track they can optionally add it. I don't see any need to create anything new
Just thinking some more on this. Are there any instances where a GPX file is not a track? I uploaded one http://www.tramper.co.nz/?2954 which is a boundary. But mostly they are tracks so a GPX file could be a field within tracks. Maybe the other example could be covered by and article so a GPX file could be a field within an article as well.
11–17 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Honora
On 14 August 2009
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown