Updates for May 2009

Hi everybody, This month I have been exploring the concept of "interestingness." I can look at something and decide easily if it's interesting, but how does a computer do it? Perhaps it can watch the humans. If something is getting more and more attention, it is interesting. If something new is posted by somebody with a good reputation, it is interesting. The specifics of the formula (and definitions of words like "reputation") will change as I continue to tweak things. But that's the idea. Interestingness is being used to prioritise content throughout the site. Topic pages have been rearranged. The daily feature photograph is now on the Photographs page; tracks you have walked and huts you have visited are now listed on the Tracks and Huts pages. When you click the "More" buttons, you get listings arranged by interestingness, with a handy link at the top to find the newest content. The menu has been tidied up -- unnecessary duplicate links have been removed to reduce visual clutter. A new "You" page is designed to present useful information to you rather than being a page about you. This page will evolve in future. I hope you like the changes. Matthew.
11 comments
11–11 of 11

Hi everybody, I forgot to mention: you may now merge duplicates. Generally, the older entry has precedence, and the newer entry should be merged into the older entry. Check if there is anything useful and new in the newer entry and copy it through into the older entry, and save that. Make a note of the ID of the older entry -- it is the number mentioned at the foot of the page. Edit the newer entry and press the Merge button at the bottom, enter the number into the "Merge" form, and press Merge. And that's it -- two become one. Don't worry if you mess up -- it's a reversable process!
11–11 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 19 May 2009
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown