tramping partners in June and early July

I am looking for some tramping partners for June and early July for weekend trips or longer trips during the week. I have done a lot of tramping in the US but this will be my first time to NZ. Mt Whitney the highest peak in the continental united states was the last big one I did. It was a great challenge but fun. I am excited to travel in NZ and am flexible on where I go. If you are interested or have recommendations on good tracks for that time of the year please let me know. Thanks, Shalom
18 comments
11–18 of 18

Hi Shalom Keen to go on the St James too, I've done a lot in that area also I've lived about 100km from Gore but mostly frequented Fiordland and the Longwoods forest, Yes Snow can always be present on the High passes and crampons and at least a walking axe would be usefull .Ive been on the Routeburn in May with solid ice on some track sections and a good amount of snow on the high pass but as with anything with the right gear and prep and you shopulsd be ok ..but also at the time making the right decisions at the time regarding weather to stay put or turn back etc...an unknown quantity Anyway if you are keen on the St James I would be happy to join if you want to keep in touch Im 0220768911
Thanks Glenn I will keep in touch with you. Always nice to have someone that knows the area.
Thanks Forest I will keep you updated. I know weather can be tough sometimes. I once got caught in white out conditions and had to turn back from summiting a peak. Hard choices but important to be wise. I will be getting into NZ June 1st and planning something early in June weather permitting. my email is [Email address removed]
Glen and Forest if you are still interested in connecting for some trips my email is shalom.sanchezatgmail.com
Hi Shalom, I live in NZ and keen to join you in Nelson/ Tasman, west coast areas three or four days. cheers hava
Hava, I was not planning on being in that are but I might change my plans. I might be keen on doing the Abel Tasman track. What is your availability? email me if you want to talk more shalom.sanchez @ gmail.com
Hava I just saw this DOC reports: The Abel Tasman Inland Track has suffered extensive tree windfall damage in the recent Easter storm. The section of track between Awapoto Hut and Pigeon Saddle is impassable and the track itself is difficult to locate. Trampers are advised not to attempt a trip on the track until the windfall damage has been cleared. A high level of caution is advised. are there other tracks you are interested in that area? or do you know if it has been cleared yet?
I think she was talking about the Coastal track which is pleasant at any time of the year, lot less people in winter as well. The inland track is hard even without the windfall. Nelson has better weather than other areas, it is normally the warmest and sunnist place in the country because of its topography.
11–18 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by shalom
On 23 April 2014
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown