Overnighter in Pureora

1–10 of 11

Howdy, just after some advice, I'm looking for a nice overnighter (preferably a loop) in the Pureora, with a good fly camping spot and water for overnight. Any ideas? Cheers!
I am taking a club trip into Waihaha Hut on the evening of Friday 13th March, then to a campsite below Weraroa on Saturday night and then out via Bog Inn Hut and Mt Pureora on Sunday. Send me a private mail of you want to join us. Another trip in Pureora is the one I describe here http://www.tramper.co.nz/?2872 Loop Trips are a bit harder to find but up to Waihaha Hut and then go north and out via Waihora Rd is one possibility. Another is to go down the Mangatu Stream and back into the Waihaha that way. There is a good camp site in the Mangatu Stream where the track crosses it north of the Waihaha Hut.
Which Mangatu source do you follow out? - the topo hints at the 3rd or 2nd...
I presume you are looking at the 1:50,000 sheet "Kuratau T18" You can see where the track goes north from Waihaha Hut and then drops steeply into the Mangatu Stream at GR 369 773. There are good camp sites in the stream there and you would go down from that point. I haven't done it myself but I am told it is a good trip and I see Shaun Barnett recommends it in his latest edition of "North Island Weekend Tramps" I see on the map that the track skirts around the head of some other tributaries of the Mangatu Stream as it goes north but the track doesn't cross any of them.
Enjoy the trip - I'll head in there Saturday for a bit of a moose around. Thanks for the heads up.
By the way, I just found this out recently and havn't used it before but there is an informal safe parking spot at the Waihaha. I just rang DOC and they confirmed it. Here are the instructions: [DELETED] It would be a much better place to leave a car than at the Waihaha bridge which is unattended and right by the main road.
Clive... Did you get into the Pureora at the weekend?
Howdy! Yeah I did, bloody good trip, spotted a couple of deer, some kaka, lovely lunch enounter with a pair of bold bellbirds. Went to the hut and headed south to the clearings, camped in one (before the range) nice night, good weather. Saw in the Hut log Book your party made 7? You guys have a good time?
There were 6 of us. There was a lone hunter in the hut as well, you probably saw his gear there. Yeah, we had a great time, wonderful weather. You might see that I have added the route description, GPX track and some photos. Those clearings are great to camp on, done that many times. The first time I went up there I came back dying to continue further along the track and did so on the next trip. We saw plenty of Keruru and I did hear Kaka. The deer eluded us, as it does with bigger parties. We did see one pig but it was lying dead in a cloud of flys beside the track. The birds were not making as much of a din as when I have been there before. Must be the time of year I think.
Aahh... The old timer/lone hunter at the hut commented on the lack of bird life "been hunting up here for 30 years, bird-life is way down" etc... I caught up with him on my way out. I've had a look at some of the photos, fortuitous log for crossing the Mangatu and all. I did intend to head down the Mangatu, but was put off by a younger pair of hunters "It'll take two days, lots a windfall". Cheers for the help getting in there, I'll definitely get back in after the roar.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by clive.s
On 5 March 2009
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown