Wanted: Tramping partner on Routeburn Track

1–10 of 14

Tramping partner wanted to hike from Divide to Routeburn Shelter. I end at Routeburn Shelter at about 2pm, or a bit later, on 22 November 2013 and I'm planning to walk the track over two days. Besides the advantages of walking with partner(s), I hope to share coach transport cost to Queenstown (the service after 2pm required a minimum number). Or if you plan a return walk from Routeburn Shelter, and are driving, I would like to share petrol costs. Look forward to hear from someone.
there should be heaps of people taking the shuttles and on the track, by the time that date rolls around the huts will probably be at near capacity if not full
Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to risk not being able to get transport in the late afternoon, so I've booked the shuttle to leave Routeburn Shelter at 4pm, 22/11/13. Currently, im the only passenger, so I pay for two. Is it safe to not book the transport beforehand to save money? I'll be walking from Lake MacKenzie Hut so I imagine it'd be a long day. I'm looking for someone to share the cost of the transport.
I'd imagine closer to the time there should be more people wanting the bus then you'll only pay for one, the routeburn attracts late bookings, a lot of backpackers book things on teh spur of the moment, if the weathers good there should be more bookings i'd be surprised if it doesnt get at least half full up at this time of year. you could try buckleys as well, i prefer them, but they pick up earlier... depending how fit you are you can get from mackenzie to the shelter in seven hours without much problem. allowing for short stops...
Yeah, 7-8 hours would get you from Lake Mackenzie to Routeburn Shelter depending on if you go up the Conical Hill side trip or not (recommended as the views are awesome). I've never booked a return bus. Most Routeburn walkers stay at Falls or Flats hut, probably not realising that they are only 2-3 hours walk from the road end, so these people will most likely be on the morning bus out. But there are plenty of day walkers who go in from the Shelter end of the track who will want a later bus. Id be surprised if the bus is more then 3/4 full though, especially at this time of the year. You can also try hitchhiking as well. There is always plenty of day trippers with cars at the Shelter. Good luck!
Thanks for your suggestions. Not having ever walked on my own in NZ, and nowhere in or near alpine conditions, I'm conscious of the possibility of bad weather causing delays. What's the risk of that in late November? If I can do Lake MacKenzie to Routeburn Shelter in 7h, I'll want to aim for 2pm at the Routeburn Shelter. (The last coach leaves at 2pm and I've booked a flexible time for 4pm with Glenorchy Journeys which means I'll pay for minimum of two passengers because of that.) I'm an early riser, and i tend to begin walking at 6am in Western Australia. I've been regularly walking on the Bibbulmun Track and quite fit. I should take a day more to enjoy the views, but this coming trip will be back to back with, and after, the Milford Track, so the Conical Hill side track will have to wait for next time. Why aren't I living in NZ :(
you can get bad weather year round, it could snow, or a storm could come through, all the water courses are bridged, its exposed to any wind in the middle. http://metservice.com/mountain/fiordland-national-park at present you have to pay $90 to get a helicopter around harris bluffs, i've heard of people just walking it regardless, but thats at your own risk , if you dont know how to assess avalanche risk yourself then you're taking your life in your hands. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/plan-and-prepare/alerts/fiordland/
I'd certainly not want to take unnecessary risks. I don't mind paying the $90 for the helicopter ride, and I understand the warden at the hut will advise if the sections ahead are passable. I guess I could turn back to Divide. But if I'm stranded after Lake Mackenzie, and I have to put up another night on the track, that would spoil my plans quite a bit. I guess I should keep my options open and book the hut nearer the day, or not walk it.
odds are you wont have an issue at this time of year, wind will be the deciding factor, but i've done it with 100k winds when the wardens told people not to go. the track is a footpath most of the way only short stretches really cop the full force of the wind. the rest is straight forward...
Its going to be sunny down this end of the country this week until Saturday at least... good for snow clearing :) Id be surprised if you couldn't get around Lake Harris. DOC always errs on the side of caution, but a lot will depend on the weather on the day. Keep an eye on your time as you walk. It's 50min-1hour Harris Saddle to Falls hut, 45m-1h Falls hut to the turnoff to Flats hut, and 1.45H-2H Flats hut to Routeburn Shelter. You would have to be at Harris Saddle by 9am in order to go up Conical Hill and back (1H return) and catch a 2pm bus, although I have gotten from Harris Saddle to the Shelter in 3H before if you really motor. Its certainly light at 6am now so it is doable... again, depends on the day.
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Borneo Bob
On 11 November 2013
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown