Locator Beacon

Hi I am thinking about buying a beacon the two that seem the best in Australia are GME Accusat M140 No GPS 5km radius find $400 GME Accusat M140G with GPS 45m radius find $599 My question is it worth getting one of these as im walking the Routeburn,Greenstone and caples late March early April Lindsay
17 comments
11–17 of 17

pmcke - I was wondering whether to touch on that theme. In the case I recounted your point is valid. When we encountered the group, a group member had already gone to the nearest farm - 3-4 hours away - for help. They could easily have called for air evacuation from there, though it would have meant an overnight wait for the girl. In fact, my own call was to stretcher her out to the 4wd roadend. However, the girl's father believed that she required air evacuation - it would be a very hard call to go against the wishes of someones legal guardian and deny the help they request, even if you yourself believe that it is not entirely necessary. ================= In general: my reasons for buying an EPIRB were that I am a solo tramper, and do my utmost to avoid other people! Even at that, there are very few occasions when an EPIRB would save my life: I am likely to be either in a state where I cannot activate the beacon, or a state where I can sit it out until my panic date passes, and rely on the route plan and hut book entries I have made to help people find me. However: a) On long (multi day/week) tramps searching my route will require a great deal more time, money and manpower for searchers. I believe I have a responsability to them to make it as easy as possible, within my means. b) There are injuries (compound fractures for example) where those days wait are critical - the story of the HVTC member who lost a leg to gangrene after an extended wait on the west coast springs to mind. So yes: for solo trampers on extended trips on little used tracks or routes they are a good tool - for those that can afford them. But no: they are unlikely to make a difference for group, for those on short walks with short panic dates / times, or for those walking well trodden tracks like the great walks. And no: they should never be a requirement (I live in fear of a day when we all need a certificate and mandatory kit before we're allowed into the bush - it will be the day I emmigrate).
Yes, if I did a lot of solo tramping I would most certainly carry a PLB. I think that is where they can make a difference. However, the question is then, if you are tramping solo are you truely prepared for an emergency. In my early days of tramping it was drummed into us that the minimum size of a party should be four. The idea being that one person stays with the casualty while two go out for help. Smaller groups seem to be the norm now and we are well beyond the days of condeming solo tramping. I have done it myself and can see the benefits though I myself prefer the social interaction with other trampers. When tramping solo the question then arises, where do you carry your PLB? Surely it needs to be straped to your body all the time. Imagine the frustration of a fall where you are thrown one way and your pack goes the other. You are injured and immobile but your pack is over there, just out of reach. Bugger!
As a Solo tramper its a question i often ponder as I walk. When the question is raised by people i meet its invariably the younger less prepared crowd that ask it. The older guys and girls that always look prepared for anything are least likely to go there. At $800.00 for the gps model (makes sense to me to pay the extra if you felt the need to go there) its a large investment in what are for me mind games i would rather leave behind. The price I pay for not having one is Preperation, Planning, Consultation and not deviating from my plan. If I have an accident it will be 48 hours before my friends back track to find me, Im prepared for that. If the accident was that bad that i couldnt survive the 48hours then i doubt i could set the plb off anyway (i can see this has occupied your mind on occaision as well peter). I can see some merit in helping another tramper quickly but have a problem with flying people out because we can and its the easy option but thats just a personal opinion that many these days would disagree with. Solo tramping is a real pleasure for me the hours of solitude broken occaisionaly by interesting conversations with momentary meetings along the way is a prize worth fighting for.
Just to give some context to the purchase: the longest leg of the tramp I bought the beacon for was Otira to Mt Cook Village. 16 days expected 'out date', 21 days 'panic date'. Food for 24 days. Tent, survival bag, warm clothing. So hunger & exposure not a problem. But with the damage from a truely disabilitating injury - that's a long wait. A bit different to sitting it out whilst a 48 hour deadline expires!
I believe that it is possible for the searchers to activate the GPS models remotely. So they are still of value if you can not activate them personally. I could be wrong with the above.
Ahh the luxury of a 20 odd day walk on your own. unfortunately time and obligations keep mine down to 4 to 5 days max
Hi Guys I have found a good web site where you can hire the beacons for a good price. WWW.locatorbeacons.co.nz Lindsay
11–17 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by lgwaddel
On 10 January 2009
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown