Able Tasman in November

Morning All, Am planning top do the Able Tasman in November this year. Will probably base myself in Motueka for the duration. Any advice on whether it is worth completing the entire track, and can it be done easily in 3days/2 nights staying at the huts. Also any accommodation advice for Motueka and Nelson would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, David.
16 comments
11–16 of 16

We didn't go north of the Totaranui road on the Inland track, sounds like I've missed the best of both tracks! Good reason for a visit to the north end one day :-)
There are some unlogged remnants of tall native forest on the Inland Track both sides of Pigeon Saddle where the Totaranui Road crosses. There are some podocarps of impressive size many of which are cloaked in epiphytes. My mate & I did the Inland & Coastal loop in October & the Inland Route was almost deserted. However there were more people than we'd hoped for from Bark Bay out to Marahau. November may be ok but there are likely to be more people about than October. Blackflag you should be able to complete it in three days & two nights comfortably. It's a highway! As mentioned tides need to be considered. (especially for Awaroa Inlet)
If you want to kayak try going in from Golden Bay as you will likely not see another kayak on the equally beautiful beaches, even in January! (Disclaimer - I now have nothing to do with GB Kayaks! But I am biased. lol ) Mind you, Separation Point can be a bit hairy, but if the weather is fine it is superb. The Inland Track can be rattled through in one long day (took me 11 hours) from Awapoto Hut out to Marahau, if you really want to do the round trip. Wow! 80 kayaks on the one beach! I saw 56 once and thought that was bad, and most were doubles! I was sitting quietly having lunch on a very small beach once and within a space of 20 minutes or so, 3 guided tours came in and the beach was literally wall to wall kayaks with one group's 'spot' only 3m from me! My friend Tom Horne had no idea what he was starting when he set up Able Tasman Kayaks all those years ago! At least there is now a 'cap' on the number of commercial kayaks so it can't get much worse.
I know its crowded, but I feel Able Tasman Coastal track should be done during the summer, or at least during the warmer months. Its a beach walk, and the swimming is one of the best parts. There could be quite a few school groups doing it in November.
Te Pukatea bay is a must see, is one of my favourite beaches in the world
about 80 kayaks on the beach, from my count and a couple of dozen more were heading for the beach when i left....
11–16 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by blackflag
On 10 July 2013
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown