Backpack liner

Hi all... I have come to learn that a backpack liner is a must-have here in New Zealand. So this is my question: Should i get out and buy a waterproof sack in one of the outdoor shops, or will a plastic rubbish bag do? What do you use? Thank you, Thomas
32 comments
11–20 of 32

The flouro orange survival bags cost about $5 from mountain saftey. they are multipurpose as you can use them as a pack liner/floatation device, an emrgency shelter, a hi vis indicator for SAR if you get lost, a rain coat, a reference for first aid and survival,a ground sheet, a sleeping bag cover and a body bag if your unluckey. Probably the best $5 you could ever spend
Rubbish bags are just that - rubbish. They are not waterproof. they are thin and will rip on almost anything. You need a dry part and a wet part in your pack. Sleeping bag and change of clothing (and anything else that needs to be kept dry) in dry and anything that's wet, can get wet, doesn't matter in the wet part. So liner doesn't need to be as large as the pack. But must be reliably waterproof.
been using the same garden bag for a year no problems this end
It's definitely good to have several uses for one peice of gears. I agree that the pack liner is an asset for pack floating as it traps air. I once used a MSC orange bag as a pack liner and by the end of the first day, it had a tear which let in water which surprised me. They are a great read and have some good advice on them. Generally they last quite well, if you keep checking them for holes and repairing them with duct tape but next time I think I'll try out the garden bag idea. I'm currently using a shorter, clear tough plastic bag I scored from work. I've tried using seal bags etc. would you believe it, I suddenly find I have to cross deep sections of waterways! (Murphy's Law). As an emergency rain coat, it acts like a chimney and causes cold air to vent up it. It has been used as shelter and a groundsheet by my partner. Sorry to say the orange pack liner does make a good body bag as well as mentioned. I have also torn strips off and used them as track markers. To sum up for me it's quite heavy but gives you some peace of mind.
I've given up on the big plastic bag pack liners after many years of using them for the following reasons: 1. to small - unless your a hobbit they are way to short to get into in an emergency 2. to heavy - the large size is typically 350gms 3. unreliable - I've had them leak in extreme weather (probably because of the tears the seem to accumulate) 4. too hard to find anything in them and 5. too bulky in smaller packs Instead I prefer to use a lightweight roll-top dry bag for the stuff I have to keep dry. Not everything has to be kept dry (eg. most of your food is packaged, the cooker, rain gear is coming out in wet weather anyway etc. etc.) so I find a 20 liter model is ample One of my packs (AARN) has an integral, but separate dry bag which works really well As an emergency bag I use a silver emergency bag (as in silver emergency blanket material) it is much lighter, roomier, warmer & more compact and can be purchased for about $7 at a 50% off sale (guess where :-) All up the dry bag and emergency bag weigh about 150gms Most other outdoor types I have spoken to about this seem to have come to the same conclusion over time
Gry - Gry Online - Gry OnlineGry - Gry - Gry Online Gry Online - Gry pl - Darmowe Gry online Darmowe Gry Online - Darmowe Gry online
The NZ Mountain Safety Council recomends that you have your gear in some sort of bags or liner. They have liners that double as emergency bags. www.mountainsafety.co.nz
I carry both hiviz orange plastic liner/survival bag to line my tramping pack and also have the usual silver fold-up thing in my survival kit, which goes with me both tramping and at on the hill at work. As skiveoff says the plastic bag has very little insulating qualities for survival - but serves to both keep stuff in your pack dry and doubles as a groundsheet in the tent, so pays for its weight easily. The hiviz pack liners can be tacked out to attract attention.
Important note on the foil survival bags: check them regularly. On one of the few occasions I've had reason to use one, opened the sealed bag and hundreds of small rectangles of foil dropped out, instead of a bag. They seem to have the habit of going brittle over time and then fragmenting along the folds. UV exposure, I suspect, being the culprit - but that's just a guess. Checking the condition of these bags should be part of any first-aid kit audits if you rely on these things at work.
Instead of survival bag and space blanket, I use one of these http://www.rei.com/product/407106 They are a great lightweight groundsheet, fly and survival blanket in one. Aparently they will show up on radar too. What I have done is buy about 7 at a time because the shipping for 7 is the same as 1. Then I sell them around tramping club and end up with my one free.
11–20 of 32

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by t-friis
On 20 August 2008
Replies 31
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown