Pack for long term tramping

Hi all, I am a college student in the USA, will be traveling to New Zealand (my first time in the country) to do an independent study in photography for the whole month of January and part of February 2013. I will be alone for the majority of the time. I plan on bringing a large format (4x5) film camera + accessories (film, film carriers, tripod, light meter, darkbag, etc.) - not to mention all of the gear I will have (tent, food, clothing, stove, sleeping bag, etc.) I have been browsing packs that will keep my camera equipment safe but also have room for my other gear, also something that is reasonably easy to carry. I am 5'3 and approx. 120lbs. Does anyone (other photographers?) have any suggestions for backpacks and any other equipment that would be necessary for this long journey? I could use all the help I can get. Thanks much, Brittany
14 comments
11–14 of 14

ahh that makes more sense. I think it was "some american designed packs arent designed to cope with a lot of rain" that I took to mean you recommended a pack that was waterproof. I have always bought my pack liner separately from the pack. but presumably there are packs that come with their own 'nylon dry bag pack liners'
some packs are dry bags, aarn packs are dry bags. i just buy dry bag pack liners seperately you get some designs like some of the osprey designs and they have a bladder compartment outside the main compartment and its open , no way of closing it, and not even any coating on the layer of nylon that separates it from the main compartment... in nz rain the water will flood into the main compartment.... and for those overseas who don't know nz rain can be like standing in the shower all day long...
Hmm...got one of those Ospreys! Just as well I use a pack liner.
I have a 60l bag by Karrimor that cost me 200 bucks and it has lasted really well in all conditions, I have fallen into rivers and my contents have stayed dry . It has handled the crash and bash of the NZ bush unscathed . Just throw a couple of lightweight rubbish bags in and make sure all your gear is in zip locks and your good to go . I also have a 90l Macpac pack that is the bees knees, but costs a pretty penny .
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by bkschnitz
On 5 October 2012
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown