Sleeping bag selection

1–10 of 23

Looking at one in The Warehouse- says comfortable temp 0* min temp-3*. Would this be adequate for winter,in huts,below bush level, Arthurs Pass tramping? Many thanks
i doubt it. you'd prob still be cold. arthurs pass is freezing everywhere in winter at night.. that would be a three season bag at best. you'd need a lot of clothes on to stay warm..
Yeah !. Like he says !. Mt Hutt ski field's had -5 to -6 overnight this past week, as has Hanmer Springs, and it's not ski season yet !. That is a 3-Season bag down here. You'd feel the cold. Try something like a 700 - 800 loft from someone more reputable. Kathmandu has about a 40% discount running at the moment. Queen's Birthday sales coming up ?.
ven low down in the valleys the cold air gets trapped, especially when theres little sun or in a place that gets little sunI've done mid winter trips around nelson lakes and a minus ten bag in huts in the valleys, with all my clothes on i wasnt warm enough, although it didnt have a hood i had a balaclava on.
There is a big difference between the loft and the weight of the down. 7-800 loft is NOT 7-800 grams of down. A four season bag will have appx 700g or more of down but it doesn't necessarily need to be that high a loft.
I wouldn't get a warehouse bag if could avoid it . Not only will the bag not be as warm as it says, it probably wont pack down well and be as heavy as anything . When tramping and camping in winter you definately want to have a top quality winter bag, it's one expense that shouldn't be avoided . Invest in a top line winter bag in summer and you should be able to get it half price . I have a seam sealed, waterproof, 850 loft pyrenees down bag and even when tenting in winter I still need a beanie or balaclava, merino long johns, two pair of socks and woolen gloves to feel nice and cosy . A good thermal rated mattress helps too . I have slept on the ground with snow cover and the tent zip was so iced over the next morning it wouldn't open and slept as snug as a bug n a rug, you get what you pay for and there is no need to suffer, might as well enjoy it eh .
Thank you all. Returned to Warehouse and got refund
yup, you can skimp on some things like sleeping bags in summer but not in winter.. norwegian saying, "no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear...."
As Aardvark pointed out, Loft & Weight of Down are not the same thing. "Down keeps you comfortable while you sleep by trapping warm air, heated by your body, within the down plumules. The down plumules form pockets of warm air, which surround you, keeping you insulated and comfortable. The quality of the down is the crucial factor that determines how well your bag will perform. The quality of down is measured by a variety of standards, the most important being fill power which measures LOFT. Loft is the ability of down to expand and fill the space in your sleeping bag baffles. The greater the loft of the down, the greater the insulating performance." - Macpac A lower loft figure bag will require a heavier weight of down to match a higher loft bag. Your 4 season bags are generally advertised as 700+ loft. I tend to look for a lighter bag that performs.
You can talk loft until your blue in the face. You might do yourself a favour and think in terms of down weight as the primary measure of a bags'rating. eg a 500gm down bag will generally keep an average person comfortable at zero degrees. A 750g down bad will likely ensue comfortability for most at -5 degrees. A 250g down bag subsequently comfortable at 5 degrees. I would not take a 500gm down bag with 800 loft and expect to be comfortable below zero. The loft will be relevant to the amount of air that can be trapped but too high a loft can be less durable due to compacting. When i sold bags the average travel bag only had appx 5-600 loft at best. Serious adventurers on remote expeditions requested bags with higher loft from manufacturers due to weight vs performance debate. They in turn did not expect the bag to perform past the expedition as that was the purpose or getting the bag. Finer down (higher loft) simply has less quills etc. I believe now as a result of a lack of education from manufacturers and retailers there are too many people confused over the loft issue.
1–10 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by vic008
On 26 May 2012
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown