Jacksons Bay to Martins Bay

Hi all, I worked in the Hollyford a few decades back and it has long been my dream to tramp Jacksons Bay to Martins Bay. It looks like its going to happen and planning is underway. If you have tramped this route and/or have any good info or references to share, that would be appreciated. Thanks, Sniff
17 comments
11–17 of 17

Hi Glenn ( or anyone else that can help) Just wondering how big the huts are beside the Hope River? I gather there are two places. We are heading through in about a month, so would be handy to have an idea how many bunks are possibly available? Thanks
Hello, Both the buildings on the Hope are privately owned. The house at the mouth of the Hope at Barn Bay is available for hire but although I've visited I've never stayed. It used to belong to cray fisherman Lou Brown but now is owned by Robin Hoglund who I think is Haast based. The hut next to the track inland from the mouth is owned by Gary Norton & friends. This hut/bach is locked these days but is available to be used for a koha. Last trip we picked up a key off Gary who lives at Hannahs Clearing between Haast and Jacksons Bay. The house and hut/bach can each easily host 6 - 10 people. Gary Norton's hut/bach caters for trampers who just turn up by having a couple or is it four bunks at the back of a large open fronted porch. (I haven't taken a lot of notice because we've always slept inside) You could contact Gary by phoning 03 750 0153
Thanks so much for that Glen. We are all sorted now.
1 deleted post from Fiordland Coast Walks
Have a great trip bushtrekker. The info provided by the others above is good. Keep an eye out for us, we should be around about then. If you would like some detailed pointers in the days leading up to your departure let us know - weather, river levels, access, the easy and harder stretches, etc. Happy to help. Grant. www.fiordlandcoastwalks.co.nz
Thanks Grant. My only concern at this stage is it will be high tide when we wish to cross the Hope River. How is that if there has been no heavy rainfall?
If the high tide is a small tide (metservice has the heights) then you will be fine at the top of the first fall. If the high tide is a big tide you may have to go back upriver to the next fall, about 100m or so, and cross there. Either way, if there has been no heavy rainfall you should be fine. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers. Grant www.fiordlandcoastwalks.co.nz
Hi Bushtrekker, I did this trip in Dec 2010. Challenging in some parts but a real "must do" tramp. Re the hut/private batch (up on poles) just in from the mouth of the Hope. I didn't stay here because I arrived about 2pm after setting off from the locked gate at 8am. Not a bad little camp site at the mouth of the Spoon rvr. Only about 3 hours to Gorge rve after that. the Hope hut has a bunkroom at back at ground level which I was told is not locked. Good to know should strike bad weather or have to wait till the rvr drops. Fortunately the Longs were in residence and rowed me across Gorge rvr. Allow 10-12 hours from Gorge rve to Big Bay. Any more I can help with - just ask.
11–17 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Sniff
On 21 April 2012
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown