Cooking Equipment

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to tramping and new to this site! Was wondering what cooking related gear everyone takes with them when tramping? What’s useful and what’s not? E.g. how many pots, a plate, spork etc? Also does everyone carry cookers and fuel with them or are there more and more tracks to do nowadays that have huts with gas? ..And is it just me or is cooking in the wind a mission!!
26 comments
11–20 of 26

The old blue butane stoves were a nightmare but most now are 70%-30% butane propane mix so are much better. I also look for the 4 season mix that includes isobutane but how much better than this is over the former, i don't have the expeience to know. Preparing liquid fuel stoves for airlines is easy. All you have to do is completely empty the tank and leave it open for all residue to evaporate overnight. Alternatively you can rince it with cooking oil if short of time. Then you have to seal the container, wrap it in a paper towel and seal in a plastic bag. The hard bit is educating the airline check in staff about the procedure and getting them to locate the correct form for you to sign. I usually ring up the day before to check that they arew familiar with the procedure
That works most of the time for Air NZ You can even pre download the forms from there website. Its actually a Aviation security /CAA rule but there is no guarantee that other airlines in NZ will follow it. If overseas I wouldnt even try. Ive heard of brand new still sealed in box stoves being rejected. It would be easier to get an open can of nerve gas onto the plane. With gas especially with the cheaper stoves if it becomes too much hassle you can always throw the whole lot away and problem gone. Another fuel choice that hasnt been mentioned is kerosene. Not overly fashionable in NZ but common in Northern America and northern Europe. Over there they cook in tents because of the cold and there is less fire hazard but still the same carbon monoxide issues. Over here we all think it smelly. There are some trampers though that shouldnt use anything else. Ran into a group of Students at Kime Hut They had bought a Optimus Nova multi fuel. They fired it up on gas to try it then bought a litre of kero to use on the trip. Not a clue about priming. When we got there they had been trying to light it for 10 minutes They still had no flame and there was a full cup full of fuel on the bench
Yes, the safety issues make gas stoves the safer option. One thing The Optimus Nova will run on White Spirit or Kerosene and even Diesel or Rape Seed Oil, but they don't recommend using the later two too often. I actually like it running on Kero better than on White Spirit. However I think it is very cheeky to see Kero in the shops at the same price as White Spirit. Kero should be lots cheaper. Our club buys white spirit in bulk, which is why I use it most. By the way, jet fuel is just kero. I was on a SAR operation once and managed to get a top up from the air force tanker that was there to refuel the Iroquois.
jet fuel does have a few additives in it but they are harmless to stoves
Thanks for the advice everyone!! So I reckon if I'm cooking dehy meals by myself all I need is (other than a cooker!) a billy, spork, and mug. If cooking meals in groups then 2 billys, a spork per person, a sharp knife, a plate per person, and a mug per person That should cover everything I'll ever really need...
that would cover the basics. Do consider changing the plate for a bowl though. Virtualy everything served in the bush can be served in a bowl. Presentation of food doesnt rate highly amongst trampers and you can get more in a bowl
I like a flat plate to spread my Cabin Bread on at lunch time. But I was quite lucky to find in Payless Plastics one time a plastic bowl that concertinas flat. I have never seen another one since. It is ideal as I have a bowl and a flat plate all in one.
I seen plates like that recently, maybe in Mountain design. They had a couple of variations. Did consider one but the weight put me off.
I know the one you mean. It was made from a rubberised stuff. Someone gave me one as a gift and I have never taken it tramping for the same reason, it weighs a ton. This one was a lot cheaper, a lot lighter and plus it had a larger base which makes the flat spreading surface.
Personally I use Orikaso folding plates and bowls.........very light and hard wearing. Great invention.
11–20 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Herbie
On 8 April 2011
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown