gaiters

where to buy? what to buy? so far I've used my colleague's old gaiters, but just recently someone told me that a. they are really old school and b. they are way to short for me. Both things are right, I guess. the upper end of the gaiters leave a nice read print around my lower leg, plus they tend to work their way up the boot, because they dont have any shoe-fitting shape at all. So now I saw some VaudDe gaiters in Te Anau for 45$ and 59$. Someone whispered me that they are not waterproof, though. I definitely need new ones within a week, before going to Stewart Island. I'll pass through Invercargill and have a day or two for getting supplies. Any advice what is good and what to avoid?
15 comments
11–15 of 15

how much chat can be got out of a pair of gaiters ?! anyways... bernieq had some nice ideas above. but i found the webbing too collective, if you know what i mean. picked up all sorts of crap - vegetation, mud etc, and in the snow turned into a huge snowpack. go the multiple stranded stainless steel wire. crimp some eyelets at each end and sew into the canvas sides. and yes, the instep will save the wire as long as the wire is sowen in really close to the heel end of the instep. happy tramping
I had a look at the Kathmandu gaiters and they seem pretty good, but still a good bit out of price range, so now I got VauDe gaiters for about half the price... will see how long they last.
I've tried a few brands but Cactus Watergaiters are my favourites by far. There's no competition. Made here in NZ by a great company producing superb quality gear that just lasts and lasts. No bright colours, nothing Chinese about them, never on special, just down-to-earth, no bullsh*t quality.The gaiters use waterproof material and fit so snugly around my boots my feet only get wet crossing streams when the water level is above the top of the gaiter. Thrash them every weekend in Waitakere mud. When the straps under the boots wore out after 18 months, Cactus sent me a replacement pair - at no cost!? Worth every penny. http://cactusclimbing.co.nz/index.php/virtuemart-mainmenu-162?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=320&category_id=76
1 deleted post from pletchercem
I own a pair of OR gaiters and they are amazing. They make light weight ones, water proof ones, and they are all very durable. They are easy to put on and take off. The clip that hooks onto your boot laces does not bend which is a bonus. Sea To Summit also do some really good gaiters. They make a whole range of gaiters which are heavier, more durable, water proof, light weight etc. They fit comfortably and for both of these brands if you have any issue with the gaiters then the supplier of the brand is usually pretty good.
11–15 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Frauke
On 15 March 2011
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown