The forum spam situation

Well as you may note, people are still happily creating new accounts to post one message in the forum before being blocked and having their message deleted. The approach I am working on is to allow all users to flag any post. When you flag a post, it will disappear for you immediately. When it receives enough votes, it will be hidden for everybody. Longer term members will get bigger votes than newer members, so that content can be removed quickly without havoc breaking out. This is not a cure, but it should be quite effective. Once in place, it will be hard to see what the motivation could be to continue bothering to spam.
28 comments
11–20 of 28

A fairly simple solution is coming followed by a sophisticated solution. Dealing with earthquake crisis at the moment - no water, power, sewage.
Glad to hear you are OK Matthew. All friends I have spoken to say they are well and the unanimous no 1 problem seems to be having to dig an outside privy. No problem to a tramper I guess. Hang in there and keep safe.
All the best to you and everyone in Christchurch Matthew........in the grand scheme of things this forum has it's place for sure, but you're health, safety and well being come first by a long, long way.
Hi Matthew i am glad to here your ok as well,i have a family member in Belfast and thank god she is ok but it is a very sad day for ChCh and new Zealand look after yourself Lindsay
We have a close affinity with Christchurch and its an unbelievable feeling way over here in Qld. It must be devestating for all those affected. Keep safe.
Hey Matthew, I have water and power and a spare bed, am in Halswell, you are welcome to come share. Let me know if I can do anything to help. Take care, Chris
Thanks Chris. I have decamped to the family home in Leeston. All is OK out here. I hope it's not for long.
they are back. Ive just flagged 2 posts in another thread. "plbs"
Is it worth giving a second person Moderator rights just to handle the spam situation. I read the forum most days and am willing to put my hand up in this regard if needed. I already moderate another forum (www.clubisuzu.com) alan geeves
A lot of sites have that anti-spam word recognition that you key in. Would it work for this site too?
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 16 February 2011
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown