Which Winter Down Sleeping Bag

1–10 of 32

Hey Folks, Winter is approaching and I don't trust my North Face Cats Meow anymore. I am in the search for a Leightweight Down Sleeping Bag, which I could easily use between autumn and spring. Subalpine Terrain where the temperature might go sub-zero, no alpine snow mountaineering as I have no experience with crampons and axe(yet). A bag under 1.0kg, great hood, easy compressible and a temperature rating down to a comfort zone around 0 till -3. I also don't mind wearing some clothes to warm me up in a sleeping bag. I considered Montbells Hugger#3, Mountaindesign Ultr500. Can someone recommend a good one for me? Any help greatly appreciated. I am looking now for ages and find it all very difficult. Thanks
the conditions you describe are about what i walk in during those seasons i have a one planet bag that fits your discription and works really well for me
I have a Lafuma Pro 650 Sleeping Bag, which is amazingly small and light, and extremely warm. Might be worth taking a look. Can be a problem finding them, but well worth the effort if you can.
My suggestion is to shop around and look for the best sleeping bag that you can afford. When you have done that, put it back on the shelf and buy a warmer one. Winter nights in NZ get cold and it is horrible if you aren't warm enough at night. A good well looked after sleeping bag will last you 20 years so price should not be a major factor in your purchasing decision.
Thanks BP, what one planet bag have you got? Cannot find a shop in Wellington, selling One Planets and somehow I don't want to buy to cat in the sack:) RR are selling the ME Glacier 500 for bout $300. Thats sooooo difficult. Huge differences in price too. And if I take a bag thats too warm I sweat at night and sweat carrying more weight. Help!
I reckon go for at least 700g down. I have a friend who gets cold in a 900g bag. Also look for the modern fabrics like "Epic" which are specifically designed to wick moisture away from your body, that way keeping the down dry.
I own a Fairydown Superlite, it is rated down to around 0. At these temperatures, used with a Exped Downmat 9 I really need to wear one thermal layer to be comfortable. I really only consider it a Spring to Autumn bag. Its not warm enough for outdoors during the winter. Fairydown Superlite. Fabric: Pertex Quantum fill weight 440g loft 800 total weight. 0.83 kg Lower comfort limit -1 / Extreme -11 I also beleive it is no longer made. Macpac has replaced it with this bag MacPax Express 400XL Fabric: 20d FeatherLite ripstop Nylon Fill weight: 440gms Fill power : 800+ Loft Weight: 0.82kg RRP $659.95, but being a macpac could probably get it for around $400 if you wait until they have a sale (which seems like every 2nd week).
The ME Down Glacier uses lower loft down (650 vs 800) which explains the cheaper price. Its about 400g heavier then the Macpac express for simialar warmth rating..
I go for the multi layer approach. Sleeping bag liner layer 1, something around 600 gm's of down as layer 2, and then an outer of about the same with a shower proof lining. More expensive but you can take just as much as you need. Summer, just take the liner and outer and sleep under the stars. In a hut with a fire, just use the liner, up in the snow in a tent then take the works
So true! Great piece of advice. Thanks. I also don't mind wearing a beanie and my down vest for the night, which I carry with me anyway in colder temperatures.
1–10 of 32

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Nator
On 23 January 2011
Replies 31
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown