Best walks and wilderness in North Island

Hi, My mate and I are going to be in North Island for a week later this month. Where do you guys think is the best/most beautiful/diverse etc wilderness in North Island? And what are some of the best tramps? (several hours to a couple of days) Thanks in advance!
11 comments
11–11 of 11

My wife & I did a lot of trekking on the NI this past year. Some of our favorites were: 1) Cape Reinga Coastal walkway from Kaipowairua to at least Te Paki, or all the way down 90-Mile Beach to Ahipara, if you want. Easy to arrange drop-off from Ahipara. Not a bush hike, but lots of solitude, vast beaches, and stunning coastal scenery. 2) Waipoua Forest -- hard to go to NI and not spend a day there checking out the Kauri. 3) Pouakai Circuit -- a great 3-day hike, with constantly changing views of Taranaki & Pouakai. Good solitude after you get to Pouakai. Great section of bush on the lst day's return to the car park. 4) Syme Hut -- a nice overnight to Fantham Peak (shoulder of Taranaki) with amazing views if the weather cooperates 5) Tongariro Crossing -- no bush, and maybe 1000 other people if the weather is good, but worth it -- a must-do! 6) Round-the-Mountain -- 4-5 days around Ruapehu. Some pockets of nice bush, but mainly a volcanic journey. Great solitude, wonderful diversity. 7) Urchin - Umakarikari loop -- we ended up just going up Urchin and then coming back down as a day hike. Spectacular bush on the way up Urchin. Great views from on top. The rest of the loop would've been nice if we had time... 8) Lake Waikeremoana -- tent and/or hut over 3-4 days. Lots of nice bush, and a good workout going up the bluff on day 1. Good solitude if you stay away from the huts. Korokoro Falls is more spectacular than described -- a must-see diversion. Have fun...
11–11 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Cephid
On 10 November 2010
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown