From over the ditch

Hi to one and all. Firstly may I say I think this site is a pretty good place for information and ideas, but sadly there seems to be so little use of the forums and noticeboards, and as for finding tramping partners it seems near impossible. As a Pomm now living in Australia it isn't easy, to say the least, to join a NZ tramping club due to the conditions placed on new members having to complete so many trips prior to being allowed to apply for membership. As a consequence I have tried a few sites like this to see if there are any likely tramping chums out there, but unfortunately it appears that not many people actually read the notices or the forums (or they simply aren't interested in joining up....another possibility perhaps!) Why not tramp with friends from Oz? Again it is difficult to find people who have both the time and the money to make the trips over to NZ. Anyway, I thought I might take the opportunity to put it out there for interests sake and see what happens. If past experience is anything to go by, then nothing will, and this message will disappear into the ether like so many before!
18 comments
11–18 of 18

I thought it might have been money, but a woman sounds like just as good an excuse :-)
Funny that, that's exactly what she said too! Have got time off for good behaviour so will be over in your wonderful country in April. Can't wait to get out of the rat race and into the wild.........mmmm, now that sounds like a good title for a book!
Norm, I just finished writing a long message here but upon posting it, it disappeared. I know i was logged in. Beats me. Haven't time now to rewrite it. Where in Aus are you? I am in Brisbane. regards Mick (aardvark)
Hi Mick Shame about the missive that went missing, but know only too well how that feels. I'm in Sydney.
One change to the forums that I would love to see is to make the last active 'topic' move to the top of the list. At the moment the topics all stay in one place and it is hard to find the last post.
That sounds like a great idea. I wonder if it is possible, technically speaking, (personally I wouldn't have a clue). Perhaps you could run this past the site owner in the other forum. I know Matthew is making changes to the forums so who knows?
Aardvark, Sorry to hear about your lost post. Most likely what happened is that you were logged out while you were writing. This can happen if you spend more than 20 minutes typing. It could also happen if the server fails. There are some measures I can take to work around this issue, which I will follow up on. I would always recommend though that before you submit something long (on any website), press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C to copy it to your computer's clipboard. Militaris: yes. I will address that soon (maybe at the weekend).
Matthew, Thanks. That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I will keep it in mind in future. Aardvark
11–18 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by normclimb
On 25 February 2008
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown