2 person lightweight tent options

As part of my on-going lowering of my base weight I'm now looking at shelter, specifically, a tent. I've read all the forum posts, but would still appreciate the community's feedback on my specific requirements. And also would appreciate your feedback on how specific brands and models perform. I think I want a lightweight 2-person tent, but I'm open to opinions. Probable use-cases: - 1: camping when hut is full - 2: camping on the tops - 3: emergency shelter I figure I want something that primarily would be used in less inclement conditions - i.e. if there is a storm we will jolly well get off the tops and into a hut; but can also handle a decent amount of wet and wind should we get caught out. As such there should be enough space or two and ideally two vestibles - one for packs and one for cooking. We will likely have a tarp along as either a footprint or additional shelter. I'm open to trekking-pole tents (but worry that they are not as good in stronger winds). Ideally something that can be put up in the rain. I am not looking fora bothy or straght tarp here. I'm looking at the lightweight options out there. I feel I'd like to target not too much over 1kg. This creates a bit of tension as lighter does tend to mean less robust and less waterproof. Lets look at the options, starting local, and then moving out. **MacPac:** - Options all seem heavy. - Floor HH is always 10,000mm - Duolight main HH is only 1,200mm. - I'm betting the rest are good for NZ conditions. **Kathmandu (Lansan):** - 1.72kg is lighter, but still on the heavy side. - Floor HH is 10,000mm - Fly HH is 1,500mm - Inner needs to be pitched **InTents(All-weather)** - 2.9kg - it's heavy - Floor HH is 10,000mm - Fly HH is 3,000mm - I think too heavy, but gosh it looks robust - Also concerned that the brand is not that big, so there is a shortage of reviews. **InTents (UL Silnylon)** - 1.3kg is starting to get the the weight I want. - Floor HH of 3,000mm is a biot of a concern. - Fly HH of 3,000mm is good. - Does look modelled on the ZPacks Duplex, but twice the weight. **Big Agnes (Fly Creek):** - Great weight of 879g (with poles!) - Fly and floor HH of 1,200mm - seems a problem - Vestibule is limited. **Big Agnes (Tiger Wall):** - Pretty decent weight at 992g - Fly and floor HH of 1,200mm - seems a problem - nice vestibules. **Big Agnes (Copper Spur):** - Not too heavy - 1.25kg - Fly and floor HH of 1,200mm - seems a problem - but the Tiger wall seems better **Big Agnes (Hotel):** - Getting a big heavy, but look at that vestibule. - Fly and floor HH of 1,200mm - not good enough at this weight. **Gossamer Gear (The Two):** - Light at 869g, but not as light as you would expect - Fly and floor HH of 1,200mm - seems a problem - Again - similar to the Duplex, but not as good **Tarptents (Stratospire Li) :** - Light - 786g - Floor and fly HH of 8,000mm - seems decent - Looks robust - Nice vestibules - But the price is ouch. I had thought price wouldn't be an issue. **Tarptents (Motrail):** - pretty light - 964g - Floor HH is 3,000mm - Fly HH is 5,000mm - Looks robust - short on vestibules **Tarptents (Double Rainbow):** - Not too heavy - 1.2kg (especialy with poles) - Didn't find the HH, but assume same as Stratospire 2 - Decent vestibules. - Looks a bit tall to be really robust **Tarptents (Stratospire 2):** - Not too heavy - 1.3kg - Floor and Fly HH of 3,000mm - Same as the Stratospire Li, but cheaper, heavier and lower HH **zPacks (Duplex):** - 550g! Gosh. - Floor HH is 20,000mm - Fly HH is 15,000mm - The question is - how does it stand up in decent winds? *there are more, but most add no new nuances. IF you dis I have a friend coming over from the states who might be willing to bring one over for me - so I can look at the wider market. This review seems useful: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-ultralight-tent **Questions:** - a bunch of these top rated ultralight tenst have a floor and fly HH of 1200mm - folk seem to think this isn't a problem. Some contributors to these forums disagree. How much of a problem is this in New Zealand? And I'm thinking of those muddy areas the Tararuas here. - Does anyone have experience with Tarptents? The owner responded to me with the HH of the non-dyneema products, and commented, "Nobody reports leaks. 3,000mm is equivalent to a column of water 3m high." Does this sound fair? - Does anyone have experience with the Duplex? What sort of confidence do you have that it would be okay in a decent wind? - Any other recommendedation?
26 comments
11–20 of 26

tenting there is risky in a lightweight shelter, rapid weather changes any time of year, one of the windiest wettest places in NZ
what @waynowski said that's the windiest place you can find to camp on the tops, in the country. especially when the prevailing westerlies are blowing. which is almost always. and the rain isn't much better
If you meet requirement #2 (camping on the tops) then you automatically meet No 1 & No 3. You won't find a 2P tent that meets #2 at around 1kg. No 2 requires a robust tent which will necessarily be a 4-season tent - at least it will be labelled as 4-season (although it may not be ideal in snow). Just be aware that there isn't one tent that does it all - I have 2 or 3 tents for different trips. A Tarptent Scarp1 for most trips; a WE 1st Arrow (2-P) for bomb-proof trips into NZ tops/Tasmania/winter. Lightweight, robust, 2-person : you can have any two ! (BTW; friend has an older Lansen - pretty good except wind/rain can blow up underneath. He added a snow-skirt to it) (edits - damn spelling errors!)
ultralight gear has taken off in places in the states where summer weather is a lot more stable than NZ summer weather... and on routes with a lot of exit points, if the weather really packs up the ultralighters get dwon from the exposed mountains... and once winter comes few of them are out there at all in exposed places... ive heard quite a few stories of TA walkers camping in exposed places in their exposed gear, instagraming the location so others do the same, the weather changes and their ultralight shelters get shredded i've heard of people breaking tent poles when they are camped at 90 mile beach... IMO a lot of ultralighters are so in love with ultralighting they dont want to listen to any adverse information about their gear...
I'd disagree there's still a place for ultra lightweight gear in NZ so long as it's well designed and used within it limitations. Tents for instance, rounds of winter Munros (peaks over 300ft of which they 270+ of them) in Scotland have been done camping day in/day out with Terra Nova Competition Tent weighing barely a kilo. Conditions including winds, will be similar to NZ.
I agree. Just go be wary of weather conditions. and where tent is pitched. had the terra Nova Competition 1 for quite a while. And the TN Photon 2 Used both in the Tararuas and Ruahines. But never in gale conditions. (plenty of huts to bail out to) As I'd prefer to stay put when weather turns bad (usually), a 4 season is essential on the tops. Not only in the Tararuas but in most places
To back up whats already been said re floors & hh. I have MSR Hubba NX with floor of 3000mm HH. My experience is that no water comes through in 'static conditions' - ie no weight on the floor. But elbow & knee pressure is enough to get wet patches through onto the inside of the floor. I sleep on a mat and so that keeps me dry. Clothes & gear stored on the floor have always been dry in the morning when pitched on damp ground. So that is what a new 3000mm hh floor is like. 'Good enough' for me given the weight benefits and that I carry a mat, but certainly not 100% waterproof. Question is what's a 10yo 3000mm hh floor like? Will tell you in 9 years!
What about using a 4 season tent without the inner but with a footprint. I do this with a Macpac microlight which reduces the weight from 1600g to 1100g
Whats wrong with a single skin tent in NZ? Sandflies Have you been in a single skin tent in a typical NZ rain storm. Even with no wind, rain pounds the tent skin and comes through as a fine spray - an hour of that and you're soaked. And in wind, condensation on the inside of the single skin is bounced off by even moderate wind - it's like sleeping in a drizzle - without the tent!
Grinning
Re the zpack duplex/triplex Ive been on a 2000m exposed peak with a member of our party using a Zpacks triplex. That night we had winds gusting up to 100 km/h. Zpacks cuban was very noisy but survived fine. I think most of the 3+ season tarptents would also do ok. That same night my tarptent performed fine. You dont want to be constantly exposing them to severe weather but for an occasionaly unexpected wind event they will likely be ok. Snow loading on the zpacks might be a chore, but should be manageable by knocking the snow off the top from time to time. Dont expect to get much sleep. It depends if your seeking to buy an emergency shelter or a tent you regularly expecting to deal with 4 seasons conditions. If its the latter then get a hilleberg or equivilant. I
11–20 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by PaulEvans
On 10 May 2019
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown