Is North Mangahao Biv the hardest Tararua hut?

Is this biv the hardest one to get to? I used a description on the net to get down to the place with the deer antlers. All good there. The track was cut as per this description - followed the track to pt 686 and straight along the ridge, to then drop down - a very good track. https://tramper.nz/7445/route-guide-scotts-road-to-north-mangahao-biv/ From there there was a marked track (pink tape) that took me too far SW from the location where Nth Mangahao is (incorrectly marked) on the topo. So instead I went up the creek that runs up towards the ridge where the biv is (to top of the creek is at approx at E1819500 N5508500). Of course, once I hit the completely impenetrable scrub, I gave up. The ample lashings of bush lawyer in the scrub also made continuing not a great option. Has anyone done this route recently and has a good idea of how to access this hut, that they could share? I was considering the more palatable option also of finding out who the landowners are on the Kopkopiko Rd side and trying to negotiate access with them.
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Apologies for reactivating a fairly old post, but did anyone come across a route to Ngawhakaraua on their wanderings past Mt Scrub (ie point 686)? There is meant to be a trail south down to the stream from 686 but I didn't notice the junction when I was there a while back. Have had some experience with the vegetation nearby, and am not keen to make acquaintance with scrub entwined with bush lawyer, so would only make an attempt on Ngawhakaraua if there is a reasonable chance of coming across a trail. PS Does anyone know if there has been a general tidy up of Maori place names on Topomaps? I heard about Rimutaka/Remutaka but I am pretty sure Ngawhakaraua used to be Ngawhakarara.
Bagger - I followed the route as marked in my first post above - that is a cleared & marked track that starts at the forestry road, takes you over pt 686 and south from there to drop down to approx E19 435 & N09 540. From that point however I was s*&t out of luck, I found more marked trails, but they seemed to be going off in weird directions, unfortunately not towards North Mang Biv. The track I was on was hover heading SW from the point I referenced above - it may well have actually been heading towards Ngawhakaraua - I never found out as it was going in the opposite direction to where I wanted to go. I will second however that this is defo a fairly manky corner of the mighty Tararuas.
Thanks si-dog. Read somewhere that there is a trail down the spur to the west of 686 that reaches the stream at least. Like you, I have taken the trail over 686, but don't remember a junction before 686. My query was just a speculator, given its not a long distance to Ngawhakaraua, but you're right, it's tiger country and there are plenty of other more pleasant walks.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by si-dog
On 12 August 2018
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown