Communications in the backcountry

Hey team - just wondering which electronic devices you use to communicate messages in the backcountry. Over the weekend I was with a group of 5 who were 12 hours overdue from our tramp due to some pretty intense south island rainfall. I always have my beacon with me but obviously didn't need to set it off as we were toasty in the hut while we waited for the rivers to drop. Our respective loved ones at home are very used to us going bush and weren't overly concerned with us being 12 hours overdue so didn't panic. It did however get me thinking that going forward it may be worthwhile investing in a device to allow me to send a message letting the family know that we are okay. So far I have been looking at the SPOT tracker system and the Garmin InReach. Does anybody have any experience with either device (or any other) that they would recommend? It is worth noting that I am not intending this to be a replacement for my PLB (which goes with me everywhere) but rather as a secondary communication device. Any thoughts appreciated
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Adding another device a hassle though. Ideally you want to bring a more light-weight satellite dish or antenna or so, connect that via usb cable, and use an app on the phone you brought already. Haven't seen that solution yet.
inreach devices allow connecting to mobile phones for texting
A few updates on my experience with inreach. The smartphone app that goes with it has become somewhat buggy since garmin took over from delorme. Had it fail a few times over the last 2 years and only work again after a uninstall/reinstall. Id strongly recommend using an app backup & restore app to get a locally saved copy of the apk (install files) for the earthmate app to allow a reinstall in the backcountry. Support suggest these issues only affect the old 1.5 version of the inreach ... but a glance on the support forums suggests otherwise. Issues I've seen include the app being unable to retrieve incoming messages from the inreach, and outgoing messages going to the wrong contact. The latter came close to triggering a SAR callout. I've not replaced my old unit with the latest hardware 'inreach explorer' because the new ones have a sealed internal battery. The older units take 2xAA so carrying spares is simple. With the new unit you'd need an external battery pack and leads to recharge to unit in the bush. So factor in another 2-300g for something that will give you a couple of charges. All that said, the inreach still far outperforms the spot for coverage and reliability of getting a message out. We use spot at work & it is ok as a tracker in open tussockland but no use in the bush or mountains and I'm not convinced by the 'send & pray' technology it uses with no way of knowing if a message got out or not.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Cabbage
On 18 April 2018
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown