Ida Railway Hut

A musterers' hut and a railway station conjoined on the high tussock peneplain of the Hawkdun Plateau.

This hut was originally the Ida Valley Station on the Otago Central Railway. The station was built 1919 after the original burned down. The building served as a station until 1978 when the line closed. In 1980, Laurie Inder moved it onto the Hawkdun Range and attached it to an existing musterers' hut.

There is a fireplace but there is unlikely to be wood due to the tussock landscape.

Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Standard Hut
Sleeps
Sleeps 12
12
Facilities
Toilet, Open fireplace
Water supply
No water
Getting there
Getting there
Johnstone Creek Track from Home Hills Road.
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access

Ida Railway Hut has a shared use arrangement with concession holders grazing Mt Ida Conservation Area. The Mt Ida syndicate have preference to use the hut from 7 January to 30 April for mustering purposes. Please call Central Otago DOC office to check availability.

Other
Altitude
1,340m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-CB16
Map
ID 8439

About this hut

Added 16 March 2013 by MatthewMatthew. 1 revision 9 March 2014 by MatthewMatthew.
131 views in the past year (11 per month).