Stone Hut (Canterbury)

Te Kahui Kaupeka Conservation Park

This historic hut is constructed of stone and corrugated iron, and located in Forest Creek. The first stone hut on the site was built in the 1880s, with a replacement in the 1900s. The current hut was built of stone in 1939. In 1967, an avalanche destroyed a part of the hut, and repairs were made in iron. Today, the hut is largely iron with the original stone chimney.

The hut was likely a boundary keeper's hut initially, and later a musterers' hut.

DOC warns: "There is avalanche risk at the hut site during winter and spring when there is more than 50cm of snow on the slope behind the hut."

Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Basic Hut/Bivvy
Sleeps
Sleeps 8
8
Facilities
Open fireplace
Water supply
No water
Getting there
Getting there
9 hr walk from Bush Stream carpark, Rangitata Gorge Rd. 12 hr walk from Boundary Stream carpark, Lilybank Rd.
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access
Other
Altitude
1,100m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-BX18
Map
ID 8277

About this hut

Added 30 October 2012 by matthewmatthew. 3 revisions, most recently 9 March 2014 by matthewmatthew.
122 views in the past year (10 per month).