Asbestos Cottage

Kahurangi National Park

A quaint hut with history - some of the original occupant's belongings still present and in use.

Asbestos Cottage was built in the 1890s by prospectors looking for asbestos in the area.

From 1914 this isolated cottage was home to Henry Chaffey and Annie Fox. Escaping an abusive husband, Annie left her two teenage sons in Canterbury and fled with her lover Henry to the mountains of the Cobb Valley. The couple stayed as virtual recluses in the tiny hut for nearly 40 years.

DOC remedial work was completed in 1997. The hut will be maintained to protect its historic fabric and minimise deterioration.

Water supply comes from Camp Creek.

Even if you're not staying, it is well worth spending a little time here.

Note that 'Chaffeys Hut' is NOT at this location! It was built after Chaffey died and the only connection is that it is near Chaffey Stream.

Asbestos Cottage • By MistaB.
Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Basic Hut/Bivvy
Sleeps
Sleeps 4
4
Facilities
Toilet, Open fireplace
Water supply
Natural water source
Getting there
Getting there
2 hours easy from Upper Cobb Dam Road end past the historic asbestos mine. Alternatively via the Bullock Track starting at the Cobb Reservoir.
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access
Other
Altitude
836m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-BP24
Link
www.doc.govt.nz/c...http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/historic/by-region/nelson-marlborough/golden-bay/asbestos-cottage/
Map
ID 4635

About this hut

Added 18 November 2009 by MistaBMistaB. 3 revisions, most recently 12 March 2014 by MatthewMatthew.
313 views in the past year (26 per month).