Waiopehu Hut 1940s - 2002 [Replaced]

Tararua Forest Park

The second Waiopehu Hut, built just after WWII to replace a hut lost in 1936 storm. Replaced in 2002.

Up until the early 80s, the hut boasted a dirt floor and platform bunk that held about 10. The hut tended to have rat and possum problems, and bullet holes in the roof were not uncommon.

The hut was closed for a while and reopened with much fanfare and a new floor in the early 1980s. But its unfortunate location amongst the trees meant that it was always damp.

Camping is still possible at the site, but there is no water or long drop. The new hut is about 1.5km further up the track.

The hut was built and maintained by the Levin Waiopehu Tramping Club.

Photos can be found on the VUWTC site.

http://vuwtc.org.nz/cs/photos/tararua_huts/picture149.aspx

http://vuwtc.org.nz/cs/photos/tararua_huts/picture150.aspx

This hut has been removed or destroyed. Information here is for historical reference only.
Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Basic Hut/Bivvy
Sleeps
Sleeps 10
10
Facilities
None
Water supply
No water
Getting there
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access
Other
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-BN33
Map
ID 4030

About this hut

Added 24 May 2009 by HaqiiHaqii. 7 revisions, most recently 23 January 2013 by MatthewMatthew.
19 views in the past year (2 per month).