Leaning Lodge

Rock and Pillar Conservation Area

The new Leaning Lodge was completed in March 2013. This hut replaces the original hut.

The first hut was part of a failed attempt to develop a skifield on the Rock and Pillar Range, built by the Otago Ski Club in the 1950s.

It was bought in the 1970s by the Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club and used for many years as a base for snowcraft training. The hut got its name from the rather alarming angle that the floors were on, due to subsidence of its foundations.

The new hut features insulated walls and ceiling, double glazed windows, and level floors.

Leaning Lodge • By pmcke.
Key information
Owner
Owner: Leaning Lodge Trus
Category
Private hut
Sleeps
Sleeps 8
8
Facilities
Toilet
Water supply
No water
Getting there
Getting there
From Kinvara Station. There is a DOC carpark just up what looks like a private drive way off SHway 87 just a few metres south of Lug Creek. From there the route follows a 4 wheel drive track all the way to the hut. You must shut all gates on the route.
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access

This hut is managed by Leaning Lodge Trust. Bookings are not required. Fees are $5/adult/night, $2.50/youth/night (11-17 years). Paid at the hut or posted to: Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club, PO Box 1120, Dunedin 9054.

Other
Altitude
1,220m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-CD16
Link
www.otmc.co.nz/le...http://www.otmc.co.nz/leaninglodge.html
Map 
ID 2814

About this hut

Added 30 March 2008 by pmckepmcke. 4 revisions, most recently 3 April 2017 by MatthewMatthew.
137 views in the past year (11 per month).