Pirongia - Bell/ Tahuanui Loop 1.5 days
Track • 1 – 2 days. Medium. Loop track.
This is a beaut! Fresh air, lush veg and precious plants only 1.5h drive from Auckland.
Pirongia summit loop via Tirohanga / Mahaukura tracks
Track • 1 day. Easy/medium. Loop track.
Walk up one ridge and down the other, great views the whole way and rare plants too. Varible track that keeps you thinking.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.