Te Aroha - Waitawheta Tramway Circuit
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Loop track.
A varied loop through Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park, including both the highest point in the park and a section of the famous Waitawheta Tramway, and exploring the park's mining and milling history.
Track • 2 days. Easy/medium. Return by the same track.
This is any easy overnight tramp in the Kaimai ranges. It follows the path of an old logging tramway up the Waitawheta river to the new Waitawheta Hut at an old sawmill site.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.