Snow on Mount Herbert, Banks Peninsula's highest point at 920m. Looking across Lyttelton Harbour from beneath Mount Cavendish.
Crater Rim Walkway
Track • 1 day. Easy/medium. One way.
Follow the ridge of the volcanic Port Hills above Christchurch.
Mount Herbert: Monument Track approach
Track • Easy. Return by the same track.
A farm trail past an historic hut and a lava dome, up to the summit of Mount Herbert / Te Ahu Patiki (919m).
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.