Track • 3 days. Easy/medium. Loop track.
An historic walk through almost deserted, pure podocarp forest.
Track • 4 – 5 days. Medium. Loop track.
An isolated loop track that connects with Stewart Island's famous North West Circuit. Side tracks climb Mount Rakeahua (681m) and Table Hill (716m). Access is from the North West Circuit or by boat...
Track • 2 days. Medium/hard. One way.
This route traverses a remote range on Stewart Island, formerly home to tin miners and the country's last wild kakapo population.
Track • 0 – 2 days. Easy. Return via same track.
Coastal forest, beaches, and estuaries on the beginning of Stewart Island's Rakiura Track
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.