Gillespie Pass Circuit
Track • 3 – 4 days. Medium. Loop track.
This is a 3-4 day track that is located near Makarora at the head of Lake Wanaka. Being a loop it can be tramped in either direction, but most parties start at the Young River valley and go over Gi...
Wilkins - Young (Gillespie Pass) Circuit
Track • 3 – 4 days. Medium. One way.
Crossing the Makarora river on foot to the Young valley. Ascending to Young Hut in the first day. 2nd Day - Climbing over Gillespie Pass and camping at the junction of Gillespie Stream and Siberia...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.