Brewster track to Mt.Armstrong
Track • 1 – 2 days. Hard. Return via same track.
An ascent from the state hwy(SH6),just west of Haast Pass,of over 1700m to a summit on the main divide of the Southern Alps. A climb through beech forest from 450m to the bushline at 1160m and on...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.