Places to stay
Totara Flats Hut
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 26.
A central hut for the Kaitoke to Holdsworth trip (3 days). It was sited under trees at the north-west corner of Totara Flats (largest flat in Tararuas at 2 km by 0.5 km) but was replaced since it w...
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 20.
Set on a bank above a river flat (good camping). Gas stoves and running water. Potbelly stove. Well-built modern hut.
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 20.Bookings required.
This lodge needs to be booked with the caretaker at the house near the carpark. Usually open during the day. Water heater for hot drinks! This hut must be booked in advance with DOC.
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 12.
An outstanding example of bush carpentry. Built in 1946, renovated using original techniques in 1987. Adzed totara plank sleeping platform, dirt floor. Water from nearby stream. Interesting long dr...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.