Places to stay
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (NZDA). Capacity: 6.
Reischek Hut (6-bunk, mattresses, stove, firewood, tank water, mountain radio) is a New Zealand Deer Stalkers Association (NZDA) hut on the south side of the Rakaia river flats. It's also the most...
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 2.
Louper Bivouac (2 beds, matresses, tank water) is a basic bivvy on the flats of the north bank of the Raikaia River. It's about 1km downriver from the confluence with the Louper Stream, which lead...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
In general, food and cooking equipment is not available at huts. See DOC and NZAC websites for details of pricing and booking.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.