Places to stay
Mt Thomas Forest
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 9.
A small but tidy hut in a frosty clearing behind Mount Thomas. Since the hut is small, near Christchurch and easily accessible, it fills up quickly. There is some space for camping around the hut. ...
Bob's Camp Bivvy
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 2.
A cute and tidy biv with a curved corrugated iron roof. The biv is located in a small beech forest clearing just below the bushline, and is visited infrequently. The fireplace is located outside th...
Wooded Gully Campsite
Campsite • Basic Campsite (DOC). 50 spaces.
Streamside camping in Mount Thomas Forest at the edge of the Canterbury foothills. Several short walks are nearby, plus longer day or overnight options. Spaces are first come, first served, with...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
In general, food and cooking equipment is not available at huts. See DOC and NZAC websites for details of pricing and booking.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.