Johnson hut Oct 2010
This is a 1957 vintage NZFS Nelson Conservancy design four bunk hut. It is located in a small clearing amongst silver beech trees on the TR of the lower reaches of the Johnson River. It is further from the river than shown on some maps. A newish sign marks where a track leaves the river for the hut.
[The Johnson River is a major tributary of the North Branch of the Mokihinui River]
Johnson hut is quite remote and attracts on average only about two walk in parties per year tho three or so times that number fly in by helicopter for principally trout fishing or hunting red deer and goats.