Nelson Creek Tailrace Walk

  • 20 min
  • Easy

Fun exploration of the goldmining history around Nelson Creek.

Key information
Walking time
20 min
Type
Grade
Easy
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access
Find it
Maps
NZTopo50-BT20

Nelson Creek was built on gold: it was found here in November 1865 by a prospector called Nelson. The hillside opposite the camping area was extensively mined, with tailraces cut to let waste auriferous gravel down into the creek below.

From Nelson Creek, walk through a tunnel to the Nelson Creek Suspension Bridge: this was built in 1872, then rebuilt to the same design in 1982. Across the bridge, turn left at the junction and pass the Coll's Dam turn off. The track loops from here, crossing a series of deep tailraces and back past tunnels. The track passes through a tunnel to loop back on itself.

Map
This track needs a photograph.
ID 5816

About this track

Added 12 September 2010 by MatthewMatthew. No revisions.
32 views in the past year (3 per month).