Firstly, remember that we are currently Alert Level 4, full lockdown. Should that change in the coming week, these short walks might be possible. For official information, check the COVID-19 website. Remember: stay safe, stay local.
The Waitākere ranges are still feeling the impact of Kauri Dieback, but there are some great options still open. Consider these:
- Kitekite Falls: 45 minutes return from Glenesk Road, Piha
- Mokoroa Falls: 1 hour return from Horseman Road car park
- Goldie Bush Walkway: 2.5 hours return from Horseman Road car park
- Te Henga Walkway: 2-4 hours return from Bethells Beach
- Waitākere Dam: 1 hour return from Scenic Drive
- Catchpool Valley: a range of easy walks ranging from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Take the coast road and follow Remutaka Forest Park signposts.
- Belmont Regional Park: climb to Belmont Trig or Puke Ariki. Full day options from Manor Park Station and Petone.
- Crater Rim Walkway: walk as far as you want either direction from Sign of the Kiwi in the Christchurch Port Hills.
- Rāpaki Track: 1.5 hours return from Rapaki Road.
- Tunnel Beach: 45 minutes return from Green Island Bush Road.
- Mount Cargill and the Organ Pipes: 3 hours return from Norwood Street or Cowan's Road.