Auckland City Walk
- 1 hr loop track
- Anderson Track leads through to Scenic Drive or connects via the West Tunnel Mouth Track to the Waitakere Tramline Walk.
- Fence Line Track leads through to the Waitakere Reservoir and on to Simla.
- Upper Kauri Track leads off to the vicinity of Smyth Corner.
- Try the Montana Heritage Trail circuit by taking the Fence Line or Upper Kauri Tracks.
- For a shorter but more challenging circuit, walk the Cascade Track from either Fence Line or Upper Kauri.
Beautiful short walk in the Waitakere Ranges.
Suitable for strollers. Grades explained
No bookings — open access
No — open access
|Falls Road car park, Waitakere, Auckland.
Altitude change 30m
This walk is not in central Auckland, but in the beautiful forest of the Waitakere Ranges west of Auckland. Auckland City Council established the Cascades and Kauri Scenic Reserves in 1925. These were combined into the Auckland Regional Authority's Centennial Memorial Park in 1983, and the track opened 1988 to commemorate Auckland City Council's role in conserving the area. The land is now part of the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park, managed by Auckland Council.
This walk is managed to a high standard, and suitable for most walkers.
From the car park (toilets and water available), the walk sets off at a set of interpretation panels. It drops easily over a picnic area to a swingbridge. Following the Waitakere Stream, the walk passes the Upper Kauri Track turn-off then a side track to a waterfall near where Waitakere and Cascade Streams meet. The track crosses a couple of bridges, passing both Anderson and Fence Line track ends before climbs easily to the car park.
The marked waterfall track leads to the Cascades Falls. These are located in an impressive volcanic gorge, surrounded by a tumble of large boulders. The track is rough and involves some clambering. The falls themselves are largely hidden from view, around a narrow bend in the gorge. This is an interesting spot to explore.