looking for tramping companion, Te Urewera

kia ora, how'z it going, I'm thinking of going bush 20th-27th December (dodging Christmas holidays!) in Te Urewera (formerly the National Park, now Tuhoe have got their Treaty settlement at last ....Te Urewera Act 2014- hurrah!) Looking for kind, relaxed, onto it, experienced tramping companion who loves the bush, swimming in the crystal waters and who is respectful of the rights of local mana whenua (Tuhoe) and Te Tiriti o Waitangi. I am 53 years old experienced tramper, long term FMC member, female, non smoker, former organic farmer, work part time doing environmental work. Looking for right person, otherwise will be going solo...thanks heaps! Kia kaha! xx Linda Te Urewera Act 2014 Te Urewera Act makes clear that Te Urewera ceases to be vested in the Crown, ceases to be Crown land, and ceases to be a national park (s 12). Te Urewera is now freehold land (albeit inalienable except in accordance with Te Urewera Act, see s 13). Te Urewera is now managed not by the Department of Conservation *DOC* but by the new Te Urewera Board. This Board is responsible “to act on behalf of, and in the name of, Te Urewera” (s 17(a)). Te Urewera will still have a management plan like national parks in New Zealand. The Board, rather than the Department of Conservation, will approve these plans (s 18). For the first 3 years, the Board has an equal membership of Tūhoe and Crown appointed persons (4 persons each). Thereafter, the Board will increase by 1 and the ratio will change so that 6 persons are Tūhoe-appointed and 3 persons are Crown-appointed (s 21). The Board, in contrast to nearly any other statutorily created body, including the Department of Conservation, is directed to reflect customary values and law. Section 18(2) states that the Board may “consider and give expression to “Tūhoetanga” and “Tūhoe concepts of management such as rāhui, tapu me noa, mana me mauri, and tohu”. Section 20 makes it clear that the Board “must consider and provide appropriately for the relationship of iwi and hapū and their culture and traditions with Te Urewera when making decisions” and that the purpose of this is to “recognise and reflect” Tūhoetanga and the Crown’s responsibility under the Treaty of Waitangi (Te Tiriti o Waitangi).
Hi Linda, I have always wanted to do this tramp, it seems to be that gets away from me - did you end up doing it? Have you got any others in mind? I am based in Akld it have done tramps in the North Island & keen to find out about more. Mike

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by mountaingal
On 12 December 2015
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown