What's your favorite...?

Aside from the essentials (shoes, pack, etc.), what's your favorite piece of kit?
36 comments
11–20 of 36

I'm struggling to think of anything non essential I take into the bush. But a few years ago I scored a trangia pot grabber that has made using the billy so much easier. No more scolding from steam and hot billies. A red pen is always good to update the topo and hut books. A newspaper is super handy for firefighting, reading/puzzles and I'd rather use that than a thistle if I ever ran out of toilet paper lol. Occasionally I'll take a bladder that perfectly fits one bottle of Pinot noir which saves lugging in (and out) the bottle.
In addition to billy, a separate kettle: https://www.bivouac.co.nz/esbit-anodised-aluminium-kettle.html
Instead of the yogurt container I'm using a noodle plastic container, the one that comes with noodles. Pretty much indestructible and designed to hold boiling water. And the perfect size for… noodles, pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, etc.
Have been looking for a light weight something for this purpose. Surprised that such a simple solution, (perhaps due to age or stupidity) has been staring me in the face. Not to mention the cost factor. Please could someone explain why they might actually consider a kettle a a necessity? Do people actually use these?
I guess you have to be a serious tea addict to carry a kettle. Different priorities - I now carry a 495g chair which I consider well worth the weight. A friend (yet another one) takes a light-weight thermos so she can have a quick tea with lunch - boils extra water at breaky.
@bernieq Now the chair I can go with, am seriously considering one, and having found someone who carries one I am all the more enthused. Plus the thermos is great for preparing dehy food for later in the day. But a kettle? For boiling water? To have a cup of tea? Next I suppose will be the legion of people that carry a teapot coming out and saying a kettle is essential for making the boiling water for the teapot? Can't remember when I last saw the mad hatter when tramping.
Bernie, can you post a pic or link of the chair for my info? My favourite item is a tie between the electronic combination of my kindle and iPod mini (books til bedtime, plus classical music for when I can't sleep or want to listen to something on long boring flat bits) or the plastic combination of two drink bladders. When I feel the need or can share the load with the mrs, I will take one 750ml bladder for spirits (generally vodka) plus one 2L one for water and mixing spirits. Somewhere I have a photo of our vodka mix from the Leslie-Karamea - one packet of Raro, 1L of water, one mug of spirits: shake it all up til dissolved, hang from the roof, use the hose to fill mugs until gone or bedtime.
Yeah, frank, I agree - a kettle is beyond reasonable, imo. The chair I have is a Helinox Chair Zero http://www.helinox.com.au/lightweight-camping-chairs/chair-zero Free postage to NZ, it's comfortable, quick to assemble, robust. I've commented on their very good customer service on this site in another thread (search "helinox"). Good grief, mosley59 - I can only imagine the snores emaninating from your tent ! :))
It makes me laugh a little to hear you two saying a kettle is ott. Then rave on about carrying a chair lol. Maybe your imagining the type of kettle you have at home? I have a 600ml aluminium kettle. It's perfect if your taking bcc meals. It's much smaller than a billy, lighter too. It's easy to pour. My gas cooker fits into it perfectly. It's great for one man over nighters if your eating bcc type meals. Though I almost never use it as I'm a couscous/porridge eater in the bush it doesn't work for me but I totally get it for those who use bcc.
Instead of a yoghurt container, I use a steamed pudding container that came with a plastic lid, not just a foil top. Basically, any polypropylene container works (look for a recycling type 5 or PP marking).
11–20 of 36

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Bones
On 12 August 2017
Replies 35
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown