Wanted: River crossing practise on short notice!

1–10 of 18

Hi, I am looking for someone with very solid and well founded experience in river crossing who would be able to show a friend of mine the ropes, particularly in solo river crossing - within the next two or three weeks, in order to be in time for a bigger trip that will include river crossings. If you know of any river crossing courses that are available during that time frame, please also let me know - unfortunately I was unable to find any. If you are able to do this, or if you know someone who is, I would be grateful if you get in touch with me! Have a sweet day! Matthias
Can't help on that, but I'm wondering if your friend uses poles? As a first step to increasing your safety margin on solo crossings poles are a good start. I've never tried it, but the one biggish stick/branch technique is possibly even safer, but good luck finding one every time it's needed. Of course the first factor to assess when choosing a fording point is run-out. If it's safe you can take on almost anything if you don't mind a swim. If it's not then you need to satisfy the remainder of the checklist as much as possible. Or not cross at all.
Where are you. What rivers are you crossing
This is not for myself, but for a friend of mine. I know the theory and have quite a bit of practise myself, I feel solid for myself, but would like someone more experienced than me to share what they know with my friend. We will go over the theory beforehand, but what is mostly needed is practise I think. This is for crossing pretty much all types of rivers in all types of situations that you can find in New Zealand. My friend will be walking quite a lot, first in the South Island, then in the North Island. Cheers, Matthias
The tramping clubs here in Chch may be running a course soonish e.g. the CTC and the PTC. I think the CTC runs one in Nove and another in February. There is some private outfit out there which has replaced the Mountain Safety Council too. Someone will know their new name.
Hi Honora, the CTC doesn't offer a course in the time frame that my friend needs - before the end of the month, pretty much. It's unfortunate timing. Haven't checked PTC - do you have any contacts there I could get in touch with? > There is some private outfit out there which has replaced the > Mountain Safety Council too. Someone will know their new name. Sounds interesting as well, would appreciate any leads to that. Ciao, Matthias
@mariku: I checked the PTC trip list and they aren't running a river crossing course this year. It would be a good idea for them if they did... I must admit I have had very little experience at crossing rivers on my own. I'm a big fan of hooking up with someone. I recall linking up with another woman when we crossed the Dart and she was a bit snotty about having her style cramped as she'd never linked up to cross! The Dart was opaque, brisk, very cold and mid-calf. Your pal can probably google and find solo techniques. I regard the NZers as being the most skilled at river-crossing and their techniques the best. Just make sure any stick you grab isn't going to snap! Here are some quotes on solo crossing technique: When crossing a river alone, use a pole or branch about 2 m long as a prop. Moving across the river, place the pole across your body and upstream from your feet, using the pole as a third leg. Step cautiously to avoid snags and holes. (Don't die in the bush, P. 57) Hans Willem's Tramping Smarter shows the stick being held downstream! P. 91 MSC's Bushcraft Manual 3rd Edition says: Individual Method Individual Crossing using a pole as a prop You need a pole for a prop, preferably one about 2 m long and comfortable to grasp. Test to make sure it is strong enough to support your weight. As you move into the river, hold the pole in both hands diagonally across your body and push the lower end into the river bed about a metre upsteam from your feet. Lean on the prop as a third leg to help you stay in balance as you move each foot forward. Then move the pole through, not over, the water. You can also use the pole to check the bottom and depths ahead of you. At times, a strong current may force the bottom end of the pole too close to your feet. If leaning on the pole doesn't prevent this, you may have to lift it clear out of the water to get it back into its proper position. With practice, it is possible to move quickly in water up to thigh deep using this method. But if there is any chance of snags or holes, move more cautiously. Finally from 'Mountaincraft and Leadership' (U.K.) A stout stick, if available, placed upstream acts as a third leg and greatly improves stability. It can be used to probe for depth. Note: the illustration has the chappie facing the current, not side on to it. In practice on the MSC river crossing courses I assisted at, the participants were invited to experiment with the upstream and downstream placements of the stick. Your pal can probably experiment him/herself and see what feels the most supportive for him/her. cheers, Honora
And when there are no big sticks available?
Hey Matthius, Your friend really needs to do some training. If someone's asking what spots are suitable for practicing, then they probably don't have the knowledge to make a safe decision "Should I cross?". I recommend a couple of groups to try... http://www.oenz.co.nz/ OENZ - Alan and Sarah's company offer high quality private training. I'm sure they can spare a day to work with your friend. http://www.nzoia.org.nz/instructors-and-guides Use the Find Instructor page for NZOIA (our Outdoor Instructors organisation). There may be a willing bush instructor out there who is able to work with your friend. If February isn't too late, PM me and I could probably take them out for a day of training. All of these options will cost, but I think it's a small price considering the consequence of an un successful crossing!
Hi Antony, training is exactly what we're going to do, that's the whole point. In my other post (which you are probably referring to?) I wasn't asking "how do I know where I can cross". I was just asking for locations that are suitable for training relatively close to Christchurch so we don't have to drive around checking out dozens of access points to the river before we can start, and so we hopefully won't have to drive all the way to Klondyke Corner. I have plenty of experience with and in rivers, and probably spent more time walking and swimming *in* rapids (without a boat) than most even very passionate trampers ever will. Nonetheless I am looking for someone with solid experience especially in a tramping setting, to additionally increase the value of my friend's training - because while I have crossed a few dozen rivers while tramping, the bulk of my river experiences were in swift water rescue. I can translate a lot from that, but it is still good to have someone to learn from who has the same kind of hours under their belt, but in a tramping setting. Hope that clarifies this aspect :-)
1–10 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Mariku
On 10 January 2017
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown