'Please correct this information' feature?

Ainslie's request for information about access to The Zoo to be corrected has resulted in some interesting general debate and I personally have appreciated the opportunity to hear everyone's views on the big picture of access around NZ and the world. However, I can't help that suspect that in the small picture of tramper access to the Zoo the whole thing has had a much less positive outcome. I feel we have taken a sensitive situation where a landowner was unhappy enough to want inaccurate information clarifying / changing and instead of diffusing the animosity, have only increased it. I feel the chances of any tramper gaining permission to cross Ainslie's land have only decreased as a result of the whole process. That is not to say that I think we are wrong to debate the issues, but I think that the landowner need not have been exposed personally to that debate - unless that was what they wanted. As such, I'm keen to hear Matthew and other's opinions on whether the site should have a feature that allows a landowner to request that information be corrected without the need to expose themselves to the 'robust debate' we have seen in the forums. This could be a link somewhere in the hut / track page allowing a landowner to flag the information as incorrect - effectively a feedback form that would result in a message to the site moderator(s) and maybe the author of the article in question. I realise that that is work for Matthew - both in creating and monitoring such a feature, but given that he's had to monitor and police the debate anyway ... I'm not sure if I even like this idea myself - it means decisions about the accuracy of information get made away from public scrutiny, which worries me ... but it also may avoid making already sensitive situations worse. So thought I'd throw it out there ... Thoughts?
30 comments
21–30 of 30

Hi everybody, I support a mechanism to flag problem content without being logged in. It's useful not only for private land but for content that is out of date in other ways or dangerous. I think that would be a responsible approach as I don't think dangerous information should be published, and I don't think it's ideal to force you to sign up to fix it. Haven't had much time for this recently, but I do have something brewing that some of you have been asking for for awhile. Given I am banned from the outdoor due to pending baby, I might get some work done! Matthew
Congrats Matthew
Haha cheers!
is that 2? congats
Two indeed. And never again. I mean, kids are great. But they're sure a lot of work.
Hey, congratulations. "But they're sure a lot of work." yeeeeaaahhhhh.... I'm sure the plan is meant to be that the younger one gets looked after by the older one.
"I'm sure the plan is meant to be that the younger one gets looked after by the older one." That's why women in some cultures are the beasts of burden. They start off carrying massive loads of younger siblings from a young age.
I'll let you all know how it goes....
Must be in the air because my missus is expecting boy number 3. She's five months pregnant we are all going on our last family tramp for a while this long weekend. Then I get to go by myself, hahaha, dreaming. My cousin, his partner and his 5 year old boy are coming to. It will be the five year olds first tramp. Really looking forward to it. Pitching the tents sitting around the campfire, fishing for trout.
"And never again" I better not offer you that Stanley knife
21–30 of 30

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by madpom
On 20 March 2016
Replies 29
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown