The past and future of Great Walks

I'm uncertain of the entire history. Great Walks tend to be themed around tourism, which DOC doesn't have a legal mandate to promote. So, the only rationale I can really see for the creation of more Great Walks is to structure any already-existing intensive tourism to protect the places which people are visiting, or to create a beacon for all those people who might otherwise go and visit less safe and less managed places. I agree with @waynowski's statement that turning something into a Great Walk really causes an area to lose something. It becomes much more tame, and at the same time becomes a much higher expense for DOC. On the other hand, there are plenty of lesser-themed walks which DOC's investing in to help promote recreation, and unlike tourism that is one of its mandates. The Holdsworth-Jumbo circuit's gotten lots of investment in the last few years, because it's so handy to places like Masterton. It's much easier now for locals to get their kids into somewhere like Atiwhakatu Hut, or nearby camping, and probably around the rest of the circuit. I don't see why it should need to be a Great Walk, though, and I also don't think it really fits a Great Walk profile very well. (Weather too unpredictible, potentially very dangerous at random times, and so potentially catastrophically inconsistent with the conveyor belt inexperienced tourism which Great Walks tend to attract.) @nzbazza: National Parks? Well, if they were created anyway then I don't personally see why they shouldn't be in places that aren't National Parks. There are plenty of interesting and unique places that aren't National Parked. They're often less protected on paper, but that doesn't make it right. In some cases, the designation is a consequence of politics, or the branch of the government (Lands & Survey or Forestry Service) which happened to be managing the land 50 years ago. In the end, DOC just inherited it all. NP's stayed NP's under the National Parks Act, whereas all Forest Parks automatically became Conservation Parks under the Conservation Act. With 30% of conservation land still having no clear designation as Stewardship Land even though it was meant to be properly reclassified 25 years ago except that nobody got around to it, it shouldn't be unexpected that there might also be plenty of Conservation Park land out there that could have as easily been made a National Park under different circumstances. Just my thoughts. :)
27 comments
21–27 of 27

I agree with bradley1 about a tax, on visitors to NZ, to go to DOC. Some huge proportion of overseas visitors visit some DOC facility, even if just an info center. It seems ridiculous to me that us taxpayers have to fund those centers which are often totally geared up to give info and entertainment to overseas visitors. The politicians will spout about the vast sums of money the tourists bring into the country - the majority of which (all of it?) goes to businesses. Why not give some of it to DOC as they are the 'business' which protects the very things the tourists are coming to see?
Maybe, but for perspective it's worth remembering that businesses directly pay taxes too at 28% (unless they're creative with accounting), and from the businesses' operational costs, wages also result in further direct tax from employees, much or all of which wouldn't exist if it weren't for the foreign tourists which those businesses target. If you assume that a levy won't deter people from visiting NZ, it might still mean those people spend less money after arrival, because they have less to spend. Which is fine if you consider that the same amount of money is coming in and $X of that is guaranteed to go to the conservation estate. But with that reasoning, if a government were going to seriously consider adding an entry levy, why wouldn't that same government instead choose to just re-allocate the tax take to put more into conservation instead? Thereby not risking deterring people from visiting? But yeah, if visitors are to be charged, I'd much rather it were a flat rate at the airport than any attempt at an entry gate into parks, which (aside from being impractical) would be baby steps towards charging everyone for entry instead of just overseas visitors. Maybe there's also an argument to treat people differently depending on which type of visa they're arriving on. (If you're here for business or a conference, should you be charged for mainitaining NZ's outdoors?)
Dont they charge them to leave now anyway. Just double the departure tax
people spend massive amounts of money traveling around the world to get to our conservation estate lands,,, its not too much to ask they contribute something towards the maintenance of that estate.. if we can increase the native bird life here our reputation will grow and more people will come placing more pressure on the routeburn the rangers ask for a donation to help the trapping of stoats and rats and people have donated tens of thousands towards the trapping, the change in bird life levels has been noticeable...
Good points, izogi. Hadn't thought about the tax angle. It surely would be very easy to arrange that travellers coming into NZ only got charged a DOC 'fee' once a year, or similar? This would mean business people wouldn't get clobbered many times.
Stewart Island has been charging people ~$5 for entry to the island for about 3 years now. The ~$5 is added automatically onto the price of the ticket that you buy from, say, the ferry operator. There is no little man in a booth collecting coins on the jetty in Oban. I highly doubt that anyone has ever said "OMG the ticket went from $70 to $75, I can now no longer afford to go to Stewart Island". I also highly doubt anyone who has gone to Oban has spent $5 less on their pub meal or whatever because they had $5 less to spend thanks to the levy. Plenty of other places do it. http://www.parliament.nz/resource/mi-nz/49SCLGE_EVI_00DBHOH_BILL9972_1_A60700/31b9cdbfac8f4f908243ada3b210ecce37b33317
the reality is we'd all be semi permanent tourists if we had the money... you havent got much money, you arent liekly to see as much. if you like nz scenery that much, you should be willing to pay a bit extra to help us maintain it if you're from overseas... its a pretty cheap holiday tramping as it is... cheap skates will be cheap skates.. for those who really care they'll be happy to pay the money. if it breaks the bank for some. thats life... if we let too many people freeload in our conservation estate , docs resources will get even more overloaded
21–27 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by izogi
On 18 November 2014
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown