The campfire

1,451–1,475 of 1,476

There's really only Little Wanganui Saddle at 1100m, should be fine, i.e. no snow at all, as it's well away from the Main Divide.
The big loop is in my wish list. Can't wait. Enjoyed the Routeburn about 10 years ago.
For many years I struggled to organise the required tramping party of four, and usually never got more than an over nighter. I then found a regular tramping mate, who moved on and got fat. ...
1 2
The reason that I carry a tent with me is for safety, just in case not being able to make it to hut. It was a rather long day tramp from Holly Hut to Waiaua ...
Mmm. A sad tale which is unfortunately oft repeated amongst outdoor enthusiasts and the public via popular media. I have a hard copy of the booklets pmcke linked to and swear by em. Agree with comments ...
Ditto, what pmcke said.
Good news I met a young guy who would have to be the youngest field officer for DOC in Newzealand at 19 at Te puia lodge over the weekend. Hopefully they find a few more ...
Probably gas stoves would be the best bet. Are somewhat safer than white spirit. Though I have to add that white spirit is safe, if used with respect. Perhaps with your trip, take the Whisperlite ...
It can be handy to camp before a tramp even if you don't take the tent on the walk -- e.g. drive to Arthur's Pass Friday night, camp, set off first thing. There are generally ...
There isn't much ground over 1000m within 150km of Dunedin apart from the Rock & Pillar. I suggest you go a meeting of the OTMC http://www.tramper.co.nz/?2202 They meet every Thursday night at 7:30pm in their club ...
Doc have in some areas put manual counters on the toilet doors. These provide an indication of how many times the doors are opened or closed. The Doc ranger I discussed this with stated that ...
1 2
hey toadwood. check your PM again. i was thinking about a few things today. i'm glad you guys have asked these questions as it has given me an opportunity to relive the fabulous experience. while in ...
Thanks for pointing that out -- it was a bug. Fixed.
Sorry, it is not clear enough. Shoud be: "Show your photos on a topographical map trail"
I'll ask this one again as the original thread seems to have gone AWOL. The question is simply this: Why do some people not complete a profile? Just knowing a little about someone, where they're from, what ...
I own a 94 Toyota Hilux Surf, I mainly brought it for going fly fishing but often use it to drive along sand roads while surfcasting... have gotten stuck in 2wd on several occassions and ...
Macca Did you get my mail message I sent you?
I was looking at the map again and I think you could probably get views to rival that of Mt Cedric by just scrambling directly up on to the ridge on the far side of ...
1 2
The coastal walkway from near Onehunga to Titirangi Beach is an interesting and pretty tramp of 3 1/2 hours (fast), maybe 6 slow. As far as Blockhouse Bay is listed by Auckland City Council as ...
I am from oversea and over 40 and look 30. It seems that there are some good trips to South in the ATC 2008 promotion. Congratulations!
You can catch rabbits by any means you want. However the method will have to be Humane otherwise some quangos will come down on you. As to it being healthy. I doubt you can really ...
Yes, in Auckland you can get preparation in the form of special breathing practice from some sports medicine people, ask the Uni Dept of Sports Science people, Dr Walt used it.
Hey I just set this up and thought I'd share. If you would like a Photo of the Day screensaver, install the Google Photos Screensaver from here: http://pack.google.com/screensaver.html then configure it, look for and check ...
Most other huts and campsites are covered by an annual hut pass or backcountry hut tickets. "Alpine" huts aren't covered, nor are huts on private walks (Banks Peninsula, Kaikoura track, HumpRidge etc), and some others ...
Scientists using data from a European space probe orbiting Mars have produced new topographic maps of the Red Planet. The "hiker's maps" provide detailed height contours and names of geological features on the Martian surface. ...
1,451–1,475 of 1,476

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,476
Posts 20,718
Top contributors
Permanent link