Mount Adams (West Coast) - post again

Dear all, I am new to this website. I am a landscape photographer in Australia. Recently I develop a strong interest in New Zealand mountain photography. My plan is: in November 2014, I like to do a backpacking trip to Mount Adams in West Coast, and stay there for 2 days. I want to get to the summit to take photos of sunrise and sunset. I understand that the last several hundred meters to the summit are covered by glacier. I am considering to camp somewhere close to the summit so that I have enough time to get to the summit during pre dawn time to take photos. Similarly, after I take sunset photos, I can walk back in the dark to the camp site without many difficulties. My questions are: (1) Is Late November 2014 a right time for this backpacking trip to Mt Adams? (2) Is my plan described above feasible? I don't have experience in glacier walk, but I will participate in a Mountain Experience Course (MEC) in Mt Cook in January 2014. I have some winter backpacking experience in USA mountains (Eastern Sierra). Thanks very much, and look forward to see your advices. Cheers, Yan
Hello Yan, IMO your plan is feasible. Late November could be ok but March would probably be better. Camping is usually done lower down than you are anticipating but with the right gear you can camp almost anywhere. Mt Adams is rated 1+ mountaineering which means you need to have and be able to use ice axe and crampons. After your MECourse you will know where you stand. The top is quite a jumble of ice/snow fields and you will not need to climb to the true summit to get fantastic sunrise/set photos. A guide or experienced companion could be a good idea?
Thanks Glenn for your information. You said March would probably be better, does that imply that in late November there will be more snow there to make the trekking harder? I do like to have a guide or some experienced companion. Where possibly can I find a guide or some experienced partner? Thanks again. Yan
Yes less snow in March & also hopefully more stable weather patterns. There are professional guides based at Fox Glacier reasonably close by in Sth Westland. Somebody from this site or one with a more moutaineering focus may be keen to share a trip with you?
Hi Glenn, Thanks for your useful information.
There is a good account of the ascent from Little Mann River in the book True South by Pat Barrett. Water will be one of the main problems as there is generally none on the route.
Glenn , Do you think point 2101 on Mt Adams would be achieveable minus Axe and Crampons? i am working in whataroa during March and may have some oppurtunities for a walk
I'm not sure Ben. Are you thinking of travelling light & trying to day trip it? An ice axe wouldn't slow you down much. Myself & possibly a companion hope to head up the Whataroa to the Gunn River headwaters in March or April.
Hey Glenn and others too. Someone once told me they saw a waterbarrel amid some rocks on Mt Adams. While looking around for it, we did find a tarn a couple of metres long...Have you heard anything about a barrel?

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by yanzhang
On 28 December 2013
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown