Gear talk

601–625 of 654

Well, I do recommend that OR Rain sombrero. But the best thing I ever saw was Rhys Buckingham sheepishly sneaking off from the Glaisnock Hut wearing a tiny collapsable umbrella hat. They're meant to be ...
Thank you all, I will certainly bring the snowshoes and try to do something with them in the North Island !
His name is "satconnections" after all, and he (she?) joined the site just in time to post the above entry. I agree with the earlier comments though, never rely on a cellphone for emergencies. However ...
1 2
I have the Montbell Super Strech #2, rated down to -4C and it's the best bag I've ever had. The strech system is great for side sleepers like me and the temp rating is accurate. ...
Also, you can use a footprint under your tent floor as they do in the States. It can be something really lightweight or heavy like Frank's MSC orange bag split down the middle.
Heaps of aluminium billies for sale in Christchurch of various sizes in outdoor stores. I picked up my little one which weighs 100g.
Well done! I'm sure you'll get there too.
1 2 3
I don't have a lot of experience with camping tents but I am a bit concerned with some of the modern ones that seem very large and are made of very light materials. A family ...
Heys guys this is my basic gear list.... 1. Tramping boots 2. Tramping pack with waterproof plastic liner 3. Sun screen 4. Insect repellant. 5. Watch 6. Toilet paper 7. Water bottle. 8. Survival Kit 9. First Aid Kit 10. Map 11. Comp...
1 2 3 4
I bought a 2 person 1.6kg Montbell Hexagon for about $450. A girlfriend got it for me when she went to Japan. It is one of the few brands that can be pitched as a ...
1 2
The candle lantern really became obsolete with the advent of LED headlamps, but I still found mine usefull to hang outside my tent at night before heading out for a, um, rest stop in the ...
1 2
Another thread on DEM at http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1213
1 2
All in my shorts! 6 pocket North Face shorts are doing very nicely - camera in one side pocket, survival kit in back pocket, knife in other side pocket. Compass in the top flap of ...
If you think the possums are moving along the sling or cord you use to string up your pack, you can thread the cord through some sort of bottle (end to end) and when they ...
1 2
I am the opposite, I take 98% of my photos using the Viewfinder and only resort to the Screen for a few strangle angles. . I beleive there is two main reasons for removing the Viewfiner, ...
1 2 3
Great bargins at Pawn Shops
My lightweight vaude pack has heard up well and I have done quite a bit of bush bashing with it. It is not going to last forever like a Macpac canvas pack but it is ...
My opinion is that theres 3 types of people who shop at Kathmandu. 1) People who aren't really interested in the outdoors, and go there to buy things for every day wear, and travelling etc. Some ...
1 2
Hi All, My wife and I are shopping around for a decent tent and have narrowed it down to just 2 based on our requirements, Nemo Asashi & Marmot Den. We will mostly be taking it easy ...
Just noticed this competition...get in quick. :-) http://www.topo50.govt.nz/win-a-gps.html
Retail doesn't pay well. I was asked to do it and the job conditions were satisfactory enough to suit me at the time. Particularly getting product at wholesale price or better (pro-deals). I was the ...
I carry both a 3l bladder and a 2l water bottle, actual water carried does depend to the route taken. The bladder is brilliant for keeping hydrated on those long summer routes along the tops. I've ...
1 2 3
Personally, you cant beat some UK gear. Two companies spring to mind. Rab and Paramo. Both of these offer synthetic jackets, meaning that they're great when both wet and dry. Paramo gear is not typical waterproof ...
Well done a great track,i walked it 3 years ago for my 50th birthday All the the advice above is true 100% I got 250mm rain on the second day and pmcke is right great waterfalls.A ...
How did the sleeping bag come out after the dry cleaning process Lisa? I imagine it will feel fresh and new at first. I'd be interested to hear what you think if you get a ...
1 2
601–625 of 654

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 654
Posts 8,839
Top contributors
Permanent link