Gear talk

526–550 of 654

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right forum, bit here we go. I don't use the original pack liner of my aarn featherlite freedom pack; it is the one with the divider in the ...
The hot springs up the Hope valley are up past top Hope hut and too far unless you are on M Bike.
Dont mock the Starlet Many years ago I hired one to go from Picton to a wedding in Dunedin. Didnt lift the foot off the floor for the entire Canterbury Plains (except towns) it was ...
hey all I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap tramping boots for sale about the place, I'm size 14 and find it really hard to them. When I first started tramping I had ...
Thanks for your reply! Today I was in Whangerei and took a look at the boots. Unfortunately none of them were available in my size, so I could only rely on what my friend told me ...
1 2 3
i usually stuff my summer boots with newspaper to dry them out quickly so they are ready for the next weekend, i do the same with my winter boots, dont like to leave them to ...
Oh... just realised the date :-/
We made another flash-looking igloo on Ruapehu near the Ski Lodges. Hard shovelling but easier packing. Had a good night's sleep. If the forecasted bad weather arrives it should last if the rain didn't melt ...
1 2 3 4
Most do (if you mean Garmin ones), but I haven't seen the most recently released models. The internal-memory tracks are usually 10000 points (from memory) and then it'll start writing over the top. How long ...
I have bought the odd thing from 1-day. Mostly cheap electronic stuff, but I did get a good little 50L pack for $50. Well they said 50L but I use it as a day pack ...
"madpom' I wasn't referring to big black plastic rubbish bags but yes they can be useful. I carry a couple in my pack and have used them as vests, pack covers etc. One of my ...
To think I thought I was the only person to find using a liner didn't make for a good sleep! I wake up kicking and fighting! Most times these days I use it to wrap ...
Sounds likely. Recall a trapline down the catlins river averaging 40m below sea level despite having the high sensitivity gps and a pdop of 5m. Caught a few too...
1 2
Yes, I have also noticed that izogi, there are longer threads which do not have the problem.
2 3 4 5 6
Sometimes I lend my packs out so I usually give them a wash before I do.
1 2
I had a little battle with a new pair of boots recently and someone recommended hikers wool to me so I got some. The boots did come right so I haven't used it much but ...
There are 2 ways of using poles and they are completely different. hardyt describes the 2 pole method, which a lot of people swear by but I haven't tried. Bit reluctant to burden myself with ...
1 2 3
ditto, ditto I've had an Aarn pack (Natural Balance) for 2 years (900km of overnight tramps) and, IMO, it's brilliant. Yes, the packs are designed for the weight to sit on the hips (and not around ...
There's a pretty good summary of what's available here http://www.nzopengps.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:topo-maps&catid=9:gps-use-and-applications&Itemid=17 Personally I use Gart Turners maps http:\\www.gtmaps.co.nz but ...
Thanks for your help on this. The recommendation to go to Living Simply was spot on. Knowledgeable folk who were keen to help as were Mountain Designs directly opposite. Wallet is quite a bit lighter ...
Hi, from our experience, there is no such thing as "too young", as long as a child is healthy AND you know how to look after a child in the wild. Actually, the earlier you start, the ...
Hi all, a question out of curiosity: Is anyone here using a stove in a tent, tipi, or underneath a tarp for cold weather trips or in winter? If so, what exactly are you using, and what are ...
Just don't expect the same durability with the siliconised nylon. The individual fibres are siliconised and it's generally stretching and abrasion which will compromise the waterproofability first. Our WE Dart gave a good few years ...
The Orikaso plates are great - light, indestructible, cheap ($6) and fold in to a bowl. Other than that I have a spork and my pocket knife. I don't take loaves of bread - tortillas sit ...
1 2 3
Yeah, its a shame dock is not common in the bush. Maybe we should start taking dock seed heads into the bush and sprinkling it around groves of onga onga. I am certain DOC would ...
526–550 of 654

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 654
Posts 8,839
Top contributors
Permanent link