The campfire

176–200 of 1,476

Those Garmin Rhino GPS's sound like a game changer.
I've been doing first aid courses regularly since I was a teenager but not for a while though. During my time as a Mtn Safety instructor, we did them annually. My job puts us through ...
Kia ora e hoa mā, @Exilr, the first forum rule is that we respect the community values. The sixth community value is that we respect Māori beliefs, rights, and values. @Gaiters is a long term and ...
1 2
Thumbs up
All great walks are free. It only costs if you want to stop overnight.
Grinning
in a dark forest you tend to become colour blind, it can be hard to tell what the real colout is, plenty of people been shot wearing high vis colours that were dulled down under ...
>World wide nearly 5 times as many people are killed by herbivorous animals than by carnivores. I would disagree. Mosquitos are the most deadly animals to people, sucking peoples blood makes then carnivores I would think. ...
No I want the larger model that starts the size of a day pack. That even has the kitchen sink and solar powered dishwasher
That would be nice Honora - hopefully the message is trickling down to those (sometimes oblivious) folk at LINZ that kiwis are sick of being denied lawful access to these land parcels by leaseholders.
1 2
Thumbs up
"Lost in the rainforest," maaaayte. Seriously, if this guy had taken an Esky and Doona with him, none of this would have happened.
Thumbs up
Heavier kit than a paper map, but some people use them. Solar mobile powerbank - can also be line-charged https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g2-M00-0A-F1-rBVaG1X1Z4mAGlrSAAFNQGFZOvU512.jpg/portable-solar-charger-power-bank-panel-5000mah....
Thumbs up Party
its the brain trying to join the dots and fill in the gaps when they see what they think is part of a deer, they often think they know which part of the deer they ...
1 2 3
Thumbs up Confused Grinning
Said pilot was being paid. Despite what he thought about the whole thing you can bet he told his tourits he would be ringing the constabulary about the whole thing
1 2
Thumbs up
His name was published 6 days ago. He was a Chinese Malaysian. They still don't know if he fell or just wandered off the ridge. Either scenarios are possible in bad weather, that's for sure.
Yep, it's working fine now.
Thumbs up
Yes, @gaiters, you're right and to be honest I really don't care too much. But it was still a bad film, imho. For as long as it's the topic of the thread it's had me ...
1 2
Thumbs up
"the son of a wealthy and influential family was speeding on a dangerous and winding gravel road to retrieve some of his gear." Not sure how wealthy that family is if they're using NZ labour ...
1 2 3 4
Thumbs up Grinning
she was crossing with one of the guys at least, then they got seperated half way across.
too many muppets for doc to sift out... easier to be conservative i had to argue to pick up my hut tickets once because bad weather was coming and they wanted to hold everyone until they'd ...
everest is the high altitude mountain for tourist climbers , there are a few other 8000m peaks like that, cho oyo, Lhotse , manaslu..
1 2 3
Thumbs up
Woot - no Tararaus!
Thumbs up
Yep, as feared these closures a becoming sweeping. Here the widely proposed closures extended to Coromandel and other areas.. https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2018/proposal-to-close-tracks-to-protect-kauri/...
This sign was at Otaihanga domain where freedom camping is very common. **Dont view this if your at work ahaha** ![](https://i.imgur.com/f6p2jBc.jpg)
Thumbs up
I took my almost two year old to Te papa last week and he absolutely crapped himself in the Gallipoli exhibit. He really thought they were giant humans. That Avalon park gets super crowded .
1 2
Grinning
I often compare MetService with snowforecast.com and find MetService are usually more pessimistic with the rainfall. Weather Underground is great for little local forecasts e.g. we used the Cass forecast for going up the Andrews ...
Thumbs up
> More clarity in how the reporters phrase these things, ability to ask the right questions would be helpful In this case I think most or all of the information has been parroted from the rescue ...
176–200 of 1,476

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,476
Posts 20,718
Top contributors
Permanent link