Food for long Tramps

HI Guys I need some help for food for 8-10 day tramp Hollyford Track next March.Four to five days is easy,so what is the best way to do it. I have oates and powered milk for breaky and Back Country meals for dinner,is there a high energy bar you can have for lunch out there,i am one of those trampers who once starts walking i keep on going with only brief stops for photos etc
71 comments
61–70 of 71

I used to use OSMs but just found something about the taste of them that really makes them unpalatable after having a few, even if they are spread out over multiple days.
@dodgydave, yep agree. I don't know if it's the oil they use or another ingredient but the quoted flavour just isn't there. Its like an 'anti-taste', if there is such a thing? From memory only the chocolate ones are palatable.... just!
I use OSM's for breakfasts/lunches/snacks during the day. Usually I have 1 bar that acts as a nutritional base chased down by some other high calorie/low nutrition/low weight food that tastes better. I find after a couple of days the OSM's become almost too sweet to eat and I crave a savory flavour (bacon would work well...). As it happens I recently got an email to a survey OSM are carrying out at the moment (because I brought some of their product online through the Munchtime website) so I told them what I thought.
I find OSMs are overly sweet and wonder how much sugar is packed in these - and how much that sugar loading could offset any long-burning energy otherwise in these bars - causing a shortterm crash. Im about to experiment and make some meals in a dehydrator - some of us are going on an Easter mish to the Raglan range - and I have a 60L pack with an 18kg loading limit (thats both me and the type of pack frame!). So Im going to make a few beef meals and some chicken meals. Apparently the main thing is keep food pieces small and minimise fat content (to prevent rancidity). Looking forward to some cookery-tinkering. Being GF I find Brekkies the hardest to sort out - I cant tolerate oats either, bugger it. I think I will go with amaranth puffs, quinoa flakes, pea protein powder, egg white powder, cocoa, in hot water, mixed with some coconut oil. The protein hit will be large. I always get a massive energy rush from the raw coconut oil - if you havent tried this tramping - you should. I found that my overall food consumption (mostly of crappy processed "muesli bars") dropped substantially once you give your body pure clean-burning energy. So that overall reduces the amount of food I have needed to take on trips.
two things hold food bars together... fat and sugar.... most bars are high in fat and or sugar.. OSM's have 17% sugar by weight..
Just got back from five nights in the Bush and took what I consider to be the bare minimum food and worked well. 2 instant porridges with a scoop of protein powder and coffee for breaky 1 osm choc bite (better than the larger standard size as they get a bit much) a lunchbox salami and coffee for lunch. A radix meal osm bite and coffee with a shot of whiskey for dinner. Sour worms for snacks and supplemented with a bit of backsteak too.
Party
I'm hoping that's just one days worth not the full 5!
Grinning
You cant beat the sour worms. Or a good whiskey.
Thumbs up
Sour worms - yuck. The kids know they won’t have to share any of these with Dad!
I'm not keen on commercial oversugared snacks so when we had a glut of strawberries this summer, I made fruit leathers with yogurt (in my case, coconut yogurt) and added chia and chestnut flour to the mix. I munch them spread with nut butter. Almond butter has good levels of calcium for us older folk who are concerned about osteoporosis.
Thumbs up
61–70 of 71

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by lgwaddel
On 24 August 2009
Replies 70
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown